Who else thinks business/life "Self-Improvement" book are kind of BS?

12 Replies

Here is where I am going with this.

- One book says you should say yes all the time, another says you should say no a lot.

- Another book says set extraordinary, unrealistic goals, while another says you should be setting realistic goals that you can conquer but just focusing a little every day.

- One book says you should devote your life to one thing at any given time in your life, whereas another says you should be constantly trying new things.

Now, if you have read many of the hit books and the ones most recommended on BP, you can guess exactly which books which viewpoints came from. I can list them here or via PM if that helps.

With that said, I will still be a guinea pig and read these books, because I enjoy great writing. And the folks writing these books will continue to make money off of it, which I am totally cool with. But lets just admit that those authors preach those viewpoints as gospel because that's WHAT WORKED IN THEIR LIFE to get them the success that they have.

And if you tell me, both polarizing strategies should be used at different times, that kind of defeats the purpose of self/business-improvement then, because the statements are so polarizing in a given book.

@Brandon Turner Because I think you can guess the books that these conflicting/opposite viewpoints came from ;)

I think you hit the nail on the head with;

"And if you tell me, both polarizing strategies should be used at different times."

But I disagree with you on;

"that kind of defeats the purpose of self/business-improvement then, because the statements are so polarizing in a given book."

Each person is unique and has to analyze where he or she is at and what may or may not pertain to him/her. Maybe you are hyper-focused and not making any traction in your business. A book telling you to try new things might be just the ticket. The opposite is also true. Maybe you have plateaued your success and can't figure out how to get more done. Focusing on the one thing that brings income to your business and outsourcing the rest so you can do more of the income producing task and let others handle the non-income producing or MWA - minimum wage activities may be what you need to read about.

Some people say you can make millions in real estate. Others say you will lose millions in real estate. I guess it just depends on which message you find most appealing to you and how you're looking to apply it.

Originally posted by Account Closed:

I think you hit the nail on the head with;

"And if you tell me, both polarizing strategies should be used at different times."

But I disagree with you on;

"that kind of defeats the purpose of self/business-improvement then, because the statements are so polarizing in a given book."

Each person is unique and has to analyze where he or she is at and what may or may not pertain to him/her. Maybe you are hyper-focused and not making any traction in your business. A book telling you to try new things might be just the ticket. The opposite is also true. Maybe you have plateaued your success and can't figure out how to get more done. Focusing on the one thing that brings income to your business and outsourcing the rest so you can do more of the income producing task and let others handle the non-income producing or MWA - minimum wage activities may be what you need to read about.

Some people say you can make millions in real estate. Others say you will lose millions in real estate. I guess it just depends on which message you find most appealing to you and how you're looking to apply it.

 Very well put.

In two highly recommended books on here.. one says "say yes all the time no matter what" and another says "you should say no often". So from that I gather, both must be moot points and word vomit.

hm.. the books aren't "right" or "wrong," or that you must do XYZ in order to succeed. I think it's more like the authors are just sharing their personal experiences for the sake of sharing. You can make anything of it that you want. 

Yeah, I definitely pick up that vibe of different books and different messages. Though - I think the truth, at least for me, has been this: Books hit people at different points in their life, and that makes all the difference. Rich Dad Poor Dad hit me just at the right time. So did The Total Money Makeover. So did "The Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing." and "The Lean Startup."  And "The One Thing."  But had I read any of these books at different times, they would not have solved the problem i was facing. 

So, even books that contradict each other (like, for example, Rich Dad Poor Dad and Total Money Makeover) both had a HUGE impact on how I run my life and helped make me the person I am today. It's like getting advice from folks- everyone has a different opinion, and I take everything I can get from people and combine it into wisdom that I can apply to my own life. 

My 2 cents anyways! Great thread topic! 

You're right, no doubt about it there are mixed messages and people trying to regurgitate what others have said or trying to put their own personal spin on the same old topic.

I typically only read Dan Kennedy, that's it for advice when it comes to business. Everything he has written has resonated with me personally.

Various messages from authors' experiences.i believe as long as the author is credible,just find a way to consolidate the lessons

Different books have different strategies, that is for sure. you need to find one that works for you  and then focus on what attributes of that philosophy led to the success of the author. I personally like the Rich Dad Poor Dad philosophy. He wrote several books nd in the end, they really all say the same thing.  It led to me investing in real estate, having long term tenants pay my mortgages, and having long term cash flow long into my retirement.

There are plenty of others that have other philsophies, but this one worked for me.

@Andrey Y.

You sound locked up with information. Filter all that information.  

I enjoy reading but I personally need to detox when I read to many conflicting books.

Frank

Originally posted by @Andrey Y. :

 Very well put.

In two highly recommended books on here.. one says "say yes all the time no matter what" and another says "you should say no often". So from that I gather, both must be moot points and word vomit.

 Well, a 'no' is just a 'yes' in disguise (the party is still interested, but all objections have not been handled), so maybe the authors are actually saying the same thing? LOL

Originally posted by @Mike F. :

I typically only read Dan Kennedy, that's it for advice when it comes to business. Everything he has written has resonated with me personally.

I've found that everything Dan Kennedy writes is just upsell for more Dan Kennedy. In any given book, he will talk about a particular topic, then segue into "You can learn all about that in my other book _____". He has really created the ultimate sales funnel in that there is no end to it.

I believe there are many approaches to RE.  Find what works for you in your market.  I started as a buy/hold 10 years ago, but starting to venture out.  However, rentals will always be my "bread and butter".  Learning is continuous..What works today will be totally different in 3-5 yrs...

Here is the thing about opposing viewpoints.  You are the judge in a divorce case.  How do you choose which one is right?  Both side have legitimate arguments that make sense and both is right.  Each judge will have his own personal reason for choosing one over the other.  

There is no one right way to reach any goal, there are many ways to hit the mark.  So what do you do?  You pick the one that you feel can make work and make sense to you and go for it.  Staying on the fence is not a good chose.  You must choose a side and get on with it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here