Luis Rosario
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Buring the midnight oil...rituals of success

Luis Rosario
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Aug 4 2015, 19:09

Hey BP family,

For the past 5 years or so I've made it a habit of dedicating the nighttime before bed and rising early to read and recite.

I intensely read mainstays such as Rich Dad, Poor Dad, The Richest Man of Babylon, Think and Grow Rich, Duplexes, Triplexes and Quads, and other personal finance books. I noticed that as time went on, the ritual of keeping those "sacred hours" attained exceptional momentum.... in fact in 2011, I made a personal commitment in writing to buy my first income producing triplex by January 2014. Shockingly, I bought that home in that exact month/year.

This experience has shown me that words are not only therapeudic, they also tend to carry an often misunderstood power to them. Keeping those hours sacred allowed me to focus wholeheartedly on what needed to be done, regardless of circumstance or challenge. The question I would like to pose to the community is this: What is your version of burning the midnight oil? How do you keep you mind and spirit nurtured?

User Stats

Votes
Tom Mendez
  • Commercial Multi Family Broker
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
  • Commercial Multi Family Broker
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Aug 4 2015, 19:28

Remembering to take it easy every once in awhile.

Best to you!

TM

User Stats

Votes
Luis Rosario
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 4 2015, 20:09

For sure!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Arnell Enriquez
  • London, Greater London
Votes |
  • London, Greater London
Replied Aug 4 2015, 20:33

@Luis Rosario

Well done! That burning the midnight oil did work on you. And it will work on anyone else who will do their homework before investing. As a newbie, I also did like you, the same habit of reading forum posts,blogs, podcasts, webinars, books on finance before getting to bed and right after breakfast. I also  keep myself tuned most of the time to podcast with my smartphone connected to my headset attached to ears while cooking, driving, jogging or running, and most of my free hours. 

User Stats

Votes
Luis Rosario
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Aug 4 2015, 20:37

@Arnell Enriquez: Thanks for sharing! Are there any particular podcasts that you would recommend? 

User Stats

Votes
Arnell Enriquez
  • London, Greater London
Votes |
  • London, Greater London
Replied Aug 4 2015, 21:04

@Luis Rosario

If you haven't listened to BP podcasts, you can start off by listening to it. There are hundreds of podcasts and you can pick and choose the area of your interest in real estate investing

User Stats

Votes
Rob L.
  • Haverhill, MA
Votes |
  • Haverhill, MA
Replied Aug 10 2015, 14:01

@Luis Rosario great thread!

I keep my mind & body nurtured by reading and going to the gym. I set a goal at the beginning of the year to read one book a week and I've stuck to it for the most part. I'm probably a week or two behind but its amazing to look back at what I've learned and been able to bring into my life and into my work. 

Congrats on the purchase and the early success.

User Stats

Votes
Doug W.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Aug 14 2015, 06:44

I don't make New Year resolutions but if I did it would be to consistently do something like @Luis Rosario talks about. That "something" being waking up earlier and using that time to do something to better myself before the day takes hold and I have to focus on family and work. 

I have been good for the past 7 months of getting to the gym between 3-5 times per week plus playing soccer 1-2 days per week. My mantra is that I want to really break a sweat from a fitness related activity at least 4 days per week. I always feel immensely better after one of these workouts and I just feel better overall when I'm eating well and being physically active. This, I think, helps me focus better on my real estate investments when I am in that part of my day.