• Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
goals aren't good?

Jeffery Waicak
  • Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Posted Apr 18 2016, 16:55

I've been  thinking  about this for a while  and would  appreciate  your feedback. I'll  give some examples. Let's say I flipped  4 houses last year, averaged  15,000 on each. then this year's  goal would  realistically  be to flip 6, and make say 20,000 on each. So now we're almost  4 months  in. I have  one done, offer pending and see no great deals, if I do other investors  are beating  me to it or out bidding  me for them. So now I'm worried, clearly  missing  the weekly and monthly goals along the way, basically  I feel like a failure and maybe  try to be more competitive in the bids and get myself  into a property  that is not that good.on the flip side of it. We're almost  4 months  in, I have found  4, closed 2, for 25,000 and 28,000 profit. My goals are being  exceeded so what should I do? Sell the other 2, flip 2 more by August and take the rest of the year off?  

Instead  I feel like a clear path forward  is best. There's not a straight  line. Im going  strike out some and hit home runs at times as well. 

Stay focused  know where you are trying to get, don't let an arbitrary date or number  cloud your  vision. 

Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
De Angela Jackson
  • Property Manager
  • Flint, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Flint, MI
Replied Apr 18 2016, 17:33

Perhaps what you should do is first flip 4 houses like last year and then worry about beating that "score." 

Pace yourself. But keep in mind that it's only April. A lot can happen in the next 8 months.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Peter MacKercher
Property Manager
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Saint Louis, MO
Replied Apr 20 2016, 09:45

@Jeffery Waicak Goals are great, and if you're ostensibility meeting them then I wouldn't worry too much. I'm also a huge fan of having a bi-annual review of everything, business practices, business goals, personal goals, to make sure that everything you're working on fits together to achieve what you want out of life.

This is market dependent, but with flipping there might not be a straight line -- it's probably more dotted and zig-zaggy than you'd like unless there's a constant stream of leads and properties you can snatch up. Nature of the beast.

I know this is the Investor Psychology forum, so I won't shy from getting a little psychological here, but if you feel like a failure you have to ask yourself "Why?" Is what you're doing actually helping you get where you want to be? Moreover, why do you have the goals you have? 

Like De Angela said, it's only April. You could look for inefficiencies to speed up your process and get more deals. But if you're, by your own measure, on track with your goals and still feel like a failure? Might be time to sit down and answer some bigger questions about what you're after.

• Real Estate Agent Missouri (#2010004223 )

Mogul Realty  Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeffery Waicak
  • Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Apr 20 2016, 16:00

I'm not sure I am making myself  clear,  if I had 4 done and was ahead of my goals, and had 6 on the  books by July,   do I then take the rest of the year off?  I agree we need to  see where we are heading, and review  wins and losses. More of a philosophical question as to weather or not goals are really  necessary or for that matter good 

User Stats

Votes
Tracy D.
  • Investor
  • Neptune Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Neptune Beach, FL
Replied Apr 20 2016, 16:26

Why take the rest of the year off? Id say plunge ahead and keep going. But it depends on what you want out of it primarily. Only you can decide what is best for you

User Stats

Votes
Bhekizwe M.
  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Votes |
  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Replied Apr 25 2016, 00:28

there is still alot of time to year end.seeing the bigger picture is better.Goals provide that guideline for effort

User Stats

Votes
Jeffery Waicak
  • Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Apr 25 2016, 02:42

there is a lot of time left in this year.  The goals in the example are hypothetical. But this example I believe to be true. I listened to a podcast from an investor in Florida. He was investing for himself. He said he would get beaten on deals by hedge fund buyers that had a goal set for them to buy 5 houses a week. Because of the goal, they had to take worse deals than the individual investor, and would pay more 

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • LOUISVILLE, Ky
Votes |
  • Investor
  • LOUISVILLE, Ky
Replied Apr 25 2016, 02:53
Originally posted by @Jeffery Waicak:

Because of the goal, they had to take worse deals than the individual investor, and would pay more 

In the instance quoted above, this is a horrible goal.  It's a goal for the sake of having a goal, which does nobody any good, for any reason.

In your instance (and original example), I'm not sure if you're 100% speaking hypothetically or not.  However, I assume you are not and the instance you give is real world.  Let's say you exceed your financial goal for the year by June.  Then, you take the remainder of the year off.

If that works for you, perfect.  If it doesn't, don't do it.

People keep asking, and I have yet to see you give a solid answer.  What's the why?  What's your end-game?  I think your goals may be centered around a number of deals.  Why not focus on a financial number instead?  If you hit a deal with 100K net profit and your yearly goal was 90K, you win.  Take the rest of the year off.

(I still feel though, like we need some clarification, maybe).

User Stats

Votes
Hugh Ayles
  • Cedar Park, TX
Votes |
  • Cedar Park, TX
Replied Apr 25 2016, 02:56

Prepare for a rainy day.  In other words, the market may soften at some point in the future and it will be much easier on you if you have built up cssh reserves while the market is good.

Never take deals for the sake of taking deals though.  If the numbers do not meet your criteria, it is most likely not worth doing.

For me, I need to make $x/ deal with a secondary goal of $y/month.  If a deal does not meet those 2 goals, I need a very compelling reason to move forward such as the time invested is only a couple of weeks and I know the house will sell just as quickly.

User Stats

Votes
Jeffery Waicak
  • Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Apr 25 2016, 03:05

I really don't have a goal set. I am just  trying  to  do as many  solid  deals as time, funding, and availability allows. As far as I understand goals, they focus on a solid number,  and a solid time. In my mind,  if the market puts me in a position to do 2 deals this year, then I just do 2 deals.  If it puts me in a position to do 22 deals I do 22. That being said,  I want to continue to look and ask why did I get/not get this deal. And continue to learn.  If I get into a spot where I cannot  keep my money  working,  then I will try new things to keep it going,  while keeping within my circle of competence. If I'm finding too many killer deals to fund,  same thing 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Yeats
  • Lender
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Replied Apr 25 2016, 11:09

Don't kick yourself too hard.

How would you feel if you closed on another deal last week and this week it appears that you would only net $10,000?

Deals come and go.  Profits from deals ebb and flow.  Perhaps the market will turn and profitable deals will fall like rain ... or could dry up/

User Stats

Votes
George Hermann
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bronx, NY
Replied Apr 25 2016, 11:23

Maybe you're setting the wrong goals. Instead of the number of deals, you could focus on how much money you want to make through your investing. Then the number of deals becomes irrelevant.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Fox
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Votes |
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Replied Apr 25 2016, 11:40

I think your goal needs to be make 50% more net profit compared to the previous year, as soon as possible, and then take the rest of the year off.  That could take 2, 4 or 10 deals so that number doesn't really mean anything.

User Stats

Votes
Jeffery Waicak
  • Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Apr 25 2016, 15:40

lol I'm not trying to set a goal up. Just wondering why? Why set a goal? Im hearing that if I am far behind my goal is should either  press on because there's plenty of time,  or scale back the goal.  If I'm killing it and hit the goal early, I should either take off the rest of the time till the goal's deadline or move the goal.  I don't  really see why I shouldn't just do my best, continue to improve, continue to learn,continue to refine, and let the chips fall where they may?

User Stats

Votes
Justin Fox
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Votes |
  • Software Developer
  • Vidor, TX
Replied Apr 25 2016, 16:20

What you should be hearing is set a goal and then do what you will with the results of your efforts.  If you set a goal to simply do as many deals as you can this year, then any amount of deals or cash will meet that goal as long as you're satisfied with that effort.

Goals help keep you accountable.  Doing your best, learning and refining are a part of attempting to meet that goal.

The chips fall where you let them.