Account Closed
  • Upstate, NY
Votes |
What is your WHY ?!?!?

Account Closed
  • Upstate, NY
Posted May 30 2017, 16:16

I have a question for all of you BPers

I am an active buy and hold investor and some months I ask myself why am I doing this again?

I believe I do this because I do not have a clearly defined WHY to look to during those not so smooth times.  That being said I am working to create a perfect WHY for me.  I figured while I work on it I could hear from you all on your WHY.

WHY do you or do you want to invest in real estate?

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jun 8 2017, 05:11

1.  Passion - I love it.  So to me it is not work

2. Time - It gives me to flexibility to do what I want when I want.  Last year I took 11 weeks of vacation.  If it is a nice day I take off and go do something outside, today I am spending the day on a sailboat because I can.

3. Money - it gives me the financial freedom to make life choices others cannot.  I have another business (I own my own brokerage company) which I also love, but in our market I can go 6+ months without a paycheck.  So my rentals cover my living expenses so that I can wait out our winter market. 

Second City Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Rodney Sums
  • Laveen, AZ
Votes |
  • Laveen, AZ
Replied Jun 8 2017, 05:34

@Account Closed

I've started doing it not because I like money but really I hate money.  Look at the influence it has over people, how it can change their attitude, perspectives, relationships, and perception of what is important in life.  The fact is, barter is a part of any society.  My why is not only the traditional reasons such as not having a boss or a regular job, freedom and choices (big reasons) but likely the biggest reason is to have enough to not need more of it; escape from having it control me like it does all of us that have had to dread going to work to get an insufficient amount of it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michelle LaRue
  • Roswell, GA
Votes |
  • Roswell, GA
Replied Jun 8 2017, 05:58

1. I love it
2. Passive income
3. Want to support a particular school in Uganda.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Taylor
  • Hampton, VA
Votes |
  • Hampton, VA
Replied Jun 8 2017, 12:09

Number one reason: Money. To have financial freedom.

Number two: It gives me something to focus my attention in my free time which I find extremely rewarding. Definitely better than watching movies or playing video games.

Number three: I'm bettering my neighborhood and providing families with a home. 

User Stats

Votes
Steph C.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Bristol County, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Bristol County, MA
Replied Jul 2 2017, 18:08

Great thread!

1) Create a future and foundation for my family

2) Have the flexibility to be there for my family for all the important events and milestones

3) Helping others

4) Ability to travel more

5) Make my own schedule

6) My 1-2 hour commute each way really sucks

7) Financial freedom (of course!)

User Stats

Votes
Rosy Bruno
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Jul 5 2017, 10:07

@Linda S. I completely agree with your 3rd point. Functionality is key in loving where you live and we think differently and have different priorities than people back when some of these homes were built so redoing layouts is often necessary, especially in historic places like Richmond.

User Stats

Votes
Jerome Morelos
Pro Member
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Jul 8 2017, 23:07

Financial Freedom. To be able to live life on my own terms.

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Bright
  • Realtor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 9 2017, 04:06

Financial freedom for my husband and I. 

I don't need to be rich but I want to be able to live my life on my terms. We live far away now from all of my family and a lot of our friends. A large driving factor of my desire for this freedom is so that I can go home to see my parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, grandmother, cousins, other family members and my best friends whenever I want to. 

Of course we want to travel and see the world. 

I want to relax yes, I said relax. I want to embrace the stillness and silence there is in life. 

I want to contribute to my energy to the world in doing good. 

Money is just a resource. An abundant one that serves as a vehicle to do good with in the world. I can't take it with me when I leave this world but I can use its energy to create experiences for myself, husband and the ones I care about and love while we are here.