Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Colorado Springs Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jenny Bayless
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Does anyone invest in both Colorado Springs and out of state?

Jenny Bayless
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Oct 24 2017, 18:48

I wanted to get some opinions from others who invest in buy and holds, in both Colorado Springs, as well as other locations, and what your opinions are from a comparative standpoint between investing in our market and investing out of state, while living in CO.

We are going to purchase Colorado Springs rental property #7 this Friday, but also have 5 properties in other states. We have thoroughly enjoyed the chase to get under-market value properties in Colorado Springs, in addition to watching the values climb steadily over the past 6 months to a year timeframe (providing that security blanket in our minds if we ever needed to sell), and being contacted by a sea of applicants whenever we put a property available to rent- and I have to imagine that everyone investing in Colorado Springs is enjoying the benefits of this! :) . Because the market is so stable, we have been able to pinpoint ARV with accuracy for when it comes time to present the deal to our HMLs or when it is time to refinance, leaving no mysteries or anxiety of whether we analyzed correctly. Basically it makes us feel 'comfortable'... if that word is allowed to be used to describe real estate investing.

However, for out of state, we find ourselves feeling helpless with what we view as unpredictable markets (fluctuating values, and therefore fluctuating equity positions), long vacancy times (in the Springs, our houses get rented in a week or two, max), and of course, not being able to stop in and physically check out the property and talk with the tenants to mitigate any of their concerns (without having to play telephone through the PM).

Basically what I am getting at, is that I am not sure if I just have rose-colored glasses with Colorado Springs due to it being a hot market at this point in time (and when we entered the market), or if others feel the same way in that Colorado Springs has a lot to offer in terms of it having a stable (and foreseeably strong) economy, decent price/rent ratios, and all around good investment potential for a long-term view.  

For other investors that own in both CO Springs and out of state- which do you prefer?

Let me caveat that I just moved to Colorado last summer, so I haven't experienced any downturns in the rental market locally first hand, so I would love to hear some horror stories to put things into perspective if you are willing to share!

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...