• Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Colorado Springs bans *some* STRs

James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Dec 7 2019, 16:27

It finally happened. Colorado Springs passed a law banning some Airbnb/short-term rentals last week. So, what do you need to know?

What's banned?

• all new non-owner occupied short term rentals in R-1 or PUD zoning
  • any new non-owner occupied STRs in R-2 and higher zoning that are within 500 feet of another non-owner occupied STR

What's still allowed?

• all existing permitted STRs (non-owner occupied and primary residence homes), regardless of zoning, as long as you continue to renew the license ... in other words, everyone who's currently (and legally) operating an STR is grandfathered in.
  • all new non-owner occupied STRs in R-2 and higher zoning that are NOT within 500 feet of another 
  • all new primary STRs in any zoning

Confused? Feel free to reach out to me. I have a sick love of talking about STR and Airbnb laws. Here's some more info.

Definition of "owner occupied"?
You live there 210 days or more. How do they police that? Who knows.

When do the new regulations go into effect?
The council has to give final approval at their next meeting, Dec. 19, 2019. There is some confusion about whether it will be in effect upon that approval or if it will go into effect a few days later when it's officially recorded.

How does this impact my current or about-to-be Airbnb rental?
If you're permitted, you're good. If you have a rental but no permit, apply for the permit right now.

What about future STR investments in Colorado Springs?
Funny you should ask! You should probably work with someone who understands the laws inside and out. (Ahem.) If you are creative and know how to search, you can find homes for Airbnb. I already have a handful of current listings that I know would still work under the new laws.

Loading replies...