Skip to content
Chicago Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Jake Shulman
Votes |
What are the best neighborhoods to househack in Chicago?

Jake Shulman
Posted Jan 15 2021, 15:20

I am interested in buying a 2 flat/3 flat in Chicago, and I'd like to house hack the property. I'm new to Real Estate, and I don't really know where to begin looking. Any suggestions on which neighborhoods have a lot of 2 flat/3 flats available?

User Stats

Votes
Thalia Mena
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jan 20 2021, 08:38

@brieschmidt   that PIE example is GREAT!!! Setting expectations is everything. 

User Stats

Votes
Eudith Vacio
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago & NWI
Replied Jan 20 2021, 09:09

@Jake Fugman - ALL super great points that you can leverage as you go forward. I will  just add a few other pointers that I always ask my clients to ponder on: 

Before you start to invest, know your why in investing in real estate? What goals do you need to accomplish your why? Do you want cash flow versus appreciation? Do you need the cash flow now or can it wait? What is your appetite for rehab?

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Shulman
Votes |
Replied Jan 24 2021, 15:07
Originally posted by @Eudith Vacio:

@Jake Fugman - ALL super great points that you can leverage as you go forward. I will  just add a few other pointers that I always ask my clients to ponder on: 

Before you start to invest, know your why in investing in real estate? What goals do you need to accomplish your why? Do you want cash flow versus appreciation? Do you need the cash flow now or can it wait? What is your appetite for rehab?

Thanks, Eudith!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 25 2021, 08:38

@Jake Shulman: I can also recommend the Andersonville area or the area close to (slightly west of) the Thorndale red line station as a long term investment. It is relatively quiet, safe, close to the city and most importantly to the lake & lakeshore drive!

Perhaps the experts @Paul De Luca and @Brie Schmidt can also confirm if this makes sense. Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Jake Shulman
Votes |
Replied Jan 25 2021, 09:10
Originally posted by @Izzy Marquez:

@Jake Shulman: I can also recommend the Andersonville area or the area close to (slightly west of) the Thorndale red line station as a long term investment. It is relatively quiet, safe, close to the city and most importantly to the lake & lakeshore drive!

Perhaps the experts @Paul De Luca and @Brie Schmidt can also confirm if this makes sense. Cheers!

Thanks Izzy!

User Stats

Votes
Forrest Williams
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicagoland
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicagoland
Replied Jan 29 2021, 09:50

Depending on your budget, I would look at the western suburbs like Berwyn and Oak Park as well. Places there are cheaper and can cash flow quite well. I'm doing a house hack for a 2 flat in Berwyn now, and the renter covers almost all of the mortgage. Definitely worth the sweat equity.