Buildium & Chicago lease

6 Replies | Chicago, Illinois

Hi All,

Is anyone using Buildium's eLease functionality for Chicago property? I was hoping to import the Chicago Association of Realtors lease into the Buildium editor, but alas... it does not accept pdf docs, only Microsoft Word (docx). Cutting, pasting, (and formatting) the entire five pages of lease (plus 19 pages of required addenda) does not sound like great fun, but may be an option.

Also need to find out how to include the required addenda but there appears to be a way.

Any input appreciated, even if it's just to say "don't bother, not worth the trouble", etc.

Cheers,
Allen

For electronic leases I've just used docusign and then uploaded into buildium. There are a ton of pages but its not a whole lot to fill out.

@Allen B. We have been trying to do the same thing for years into Appfolio but the Chicago lease and its structure makes it tough.  Most Buildium clients I know have always done work arounds on it and we actually moved away to Podio built set up so we can do what you are trying to do.  

@Allen B. - Sounds like from the above comments its not an easy feat. However, if you are adamant about doing it I'd suggest hiring a virtual assistant (VA) and they can probably transfer the pdf doc to word in a matter of a couple of hours and it will cost you $20. I've used Upwork to find VAs and found it to work out great.

Teaser: Online PDF to Word converter.

@Jonathan Klemm  wrote: "I'd suggest hiring a virtual assistant (VA) and they can probably transfer the pdf doc to word in a matter of a couple of hours and it will cost you $20."

I'd suggest using some online PDF to Word converter. And it can probably transfer the pdf doc to word in a matter of a couple of seconds and it will cost you $0.

There are a lot of converters. I use https://convertio.co/pdf-docx/ :

@Allen B. I have spoken to about a half dozen owners of management companies or owner operators who have in house management. It sounds like this functionality just isn't worth fighting for in these software's. DocuSign is cheap and I have been using that since I already had templates spooled up for my business. A template will take you around 5 minutes to set up, which is about the same amount of time you will spend reading the dumb tutorials on Buidlium. 

After you do all of that, your tenants will probably want a paper lease anyways (ask me how I know!).

Since this thread came back to life, figured I'd mentioned what I ended up doing.

Basically I had to manually cut-and-paste, then reformat, the original document. It wasn't too bad. Cutting and pasting from a PDF usually results in disaster and indeed, that's why the reformatting was necessary.

As @John Warren points out, I'm not totally sure this was worth it. However, it does manage to auto-populate things like tenant name, address, rent amount, etc.

One other annoying thing is the need to add on the various Chicago-required documents (CRLTO summary, bed bugs, lead) and place initial blocks on them. It's easy though, and only takes a minute now.

Overall, it could be better, but given the number of leases I'll do in a year, it's not too bad.

Cheers,
Allen