Chicago Granny Flats | ADU Ordinances | Update on Restrictions

8 Replies | Chicago, Illinois

Leave it to Chicago to make things even more difficult! Man, I don't see how the city should have ANY right to decide whom I rent MY unit out to in MY own home. We're not talking about a condo unit. Nope, a single family home that I own and decide to build a coach house on the lot. Yet I cannot rent it out on Airbnb or other rental sites? WHYYYYYY CHICAGO?! How is this even OK? https://www.illinoispolicy.org... 

Externalities. Your neighbors didn't sign up to live next to a hotel, they expect either another homeowner or a long-term renter. The increased traffic and rowdy behavior of vacationers and other short-term transients imposes costs (direct, indirect, and quality of life) on your neighbors.

That's WHYYYYYY.

You have never been allowed to do AirBnb on any unit in a 2-4 unit properties unless it is the unit you personally occupy

Originally posted by @John Clark :
Externalities. Your neighbors didn't sign up to live next to a hotel, they expect either another homeowner or a long-term renter. The increased traffic and rowdy behavior of vacationers and other short-term transients imposes costs (direct, indirect, and quality of life) on your neighbors.

That's WHYYYYYY.

LOL.You're assuming all vacationers are rowdy and disrespectful. I'm certainly not that type of traveler. And anyone who rents to someone (short OR long term) they don't vet properly (through VRBO, Airbnb, or other similar sites) is doing themselves a huge disservice. 

Originally posted by @Brie Schmidt :

You have never been allowed to do AirBnb on any unit in a 2-4 unit properties unless it is the unit you personally occupy

I didn't realize this. I figured since I fully own the 2-4 unit (I don't have one yet, I'm just saying hypothetically :) I could/should be able to rent it to whomever I want. And for any duration of time. I guess after having lived in East TN for 10 years (and in FL at other points in my life), I'm still just baffled by how much control the city has over these types of things... It is MY home. Or, is it?

No, I'm not assuming that "all" vacationers are rowdy and disrespectful. A significant portion of them are so, however, and your neighbors need protection from them. As for the owner not vetting people properly and doing himself a disservice, that's on the owner. The owner controlled the situation and blew it. The rules and regulations are to protect the people who have no say in the matter -- the neighbors.

@Jennie Berger - STR is a business thus governed by the dept of business affairs and consumer protection. You have to file a schedule-C with the IRS instead of a schedule-E which is for rental property.