Introduction: Out of state investor from CA

Introduction: Out of state investor from CA

Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 15 votes

Hello everyone,

My name is Thanh and I am a real estate investor from CA. I've been doing research to determine the best place for me to start buying rentals to hold long term for cash flow and I've decided to invest in Indianapolis, IN. I hope to network with other BP team members in the area or RE investors that are currently investing in Indianapolis. I want to build a team, starting with a real estate agent. Please let me know if you have any recommendations and thank you for all your assistance. 

5Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
Thanh Nguyen I bought several of these turnkeys and have one in Indy. I was going to buy more but got Fannie Mae maxed. I can some PMs that I use and others that have given to me. Don’t know if I can refer here though. I would just caution to stay with rents over 900 and don’t get tempted by the lower price homes that you can’t sell if the market softens. Also make sure you get an appraisal and inspection. Use folks that other investors have used.
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Thanh Nguyen I bought several of these turnkeys and have one in Indy. I was going to buy more but got Fannie Mae maxed. I can some PMs that I use and others that have given to me. Don’t know if I can refer here though. I would just caution to stay with rents over 900 and don’t get tempted by the lower price homes that you can’t sell if the market softens. Also make sure you get an appraisal and inspection. Use folks that other investors have used.
  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 887 posts · 323 votes
    8y

    @Thanh Nguyen

    If you haven't yet read @David Greene book I recommend you do. 

    All the best to you,

    Jorge

  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Account Closed I've bought and finished @David Greene's book. I am following his steps in the book and taking actions now. Thanks

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 887 posts · 323 votes
    8y

    @Thanh Nguyen

    Awesome! I’m reading through it now. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 424 posts · 261 votes
    8y

    I agree with Lane! I spent time searching out a good real estate agent that understands investor needs before I bought in Indy. I think that is the key. Finding a great agent who can also connect you with other resources. Stick to the properties that are going to generate good quality tenants as well as a good return. This is where the agent can be worth every penny!

  • Realtor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 408 posts · 361 votes
    8y

    @Thanh Nguyen

    I'm down the road from you in Concord. I'm flying out to Indy in a few weeks and have built out a spreadsheet full of contacts, with priority on those with multiple referrals from BP and elsewhere. Happy to share everything I have with you. 

    Lane is the second person who specifically comments to stay away from rents under $900. The other called it the $1000 rule. Interesting. 

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    @Thanh Nguyen I'm curious how things have been progressing for you in Indy. Any luck putting together your Core 4? 

    @Ernesto Hernandez mind shooting that spreadsheet my way as well? I'll be in Indy next week myself. 

    I'm a fellow CA investor with a handful of duplexes in Indy. I'm getting $900-$1,000 per side in some better neighborhoods. But deal flow has been challenging. 

    Good luck to you both! 

  • Realtor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 408 posts · 361 votes
    8y

    Hey @Ethan Anderson. Shoot me your e mail via PM and i'll share what I have. 

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Thanh Nguyen As others have already cautioned you, my strongest advice is to stay away from the cheap, low priced inner city properties. I've seen far too many people get lured in by the promise of high returns in these neighborhoods and get burned. Indianapolis is a great market but it can vary neighborhood to neighborhood and even street to street. Stay in the better neighborhoods with higher rents and you can do very well with good property management. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 67 votes
    8y

    @Ernesto Hernandez  also a Cali investor with 1 duplex but looking to add doors ASAP.   Looking for good contacts in the area.

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2016 · 103 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    Glad this thread popped back up. Indy's on my radar too - the whole state is, in fact - so knowing where to go & not to go helps out.

  • Developer · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2012 · 259 posts · 129 votes
    8y

    I agree with @Mike D'Arrigo, although there are some gems out there for lower prices. 

    @Ethan Anderson, curious as to whereabouts your higher end duplexes are? Most I've come across are in C areas that need lots of work and max out at $700/side.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.