Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Lisa Yan
Votes |
Where do I find houses to flip in Houston?

Lisa Yan
Posted

Im a fairly new real estate investor and just got my real estate license. Where do you all suggest I find off market properties? Do you have any wholesalers you would recommend in Houston? I have rehab experience but having a hard time finding off market properties.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Bazazzadeh
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied

Hey Lisa, make sure you are in the Houston Real Estate Investors FB group as a starting point - people post off-market properties in there all the time. Other than that you can start networking with people who could send you deals, or do marketing to generate your own leads...although that is a lot more work than most people realize and I wouldn't recommend doing that to start.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Lisa, New Western is probably the biggest wholesaler in town. And as in all counties, the county foreclosure auction has the most non-mls properties of all.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied
  1.  Networking: Reach out to other real estate agents, investors, and contractors in your area and build a network. This can help you find out about off-market properties before they hit the market.
  2.  Direct mail: Target specific neighborhoods and send direct mail campaigns to owners of properties that meet your investment criteria.
  3. Public records: Search public records for properties that are in pre-foreclosure, tax sale, or have delinquent taxes.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Whatever you do DONT BUY FROM MOVE ON HOUSE BUYERS. Johell Aponte totally misrepresented a rental home to me and without compunction took $14,000 plus of my life savings and I got a home that is easily condemnable between the fireplace being cracked the breaker box being in shambles with breakers falling out into the electrician's hand. No hot water for the first month more than 24 maintenance requests in 4 months the last one was my main breaker box shot flames and Sparks.

now that I have a major problem and he has all my money he has not responded to my text my emails or certified letters. So I have resorted to trying to get his attention to deal with this situation and return my money in this manner. Do not do business with him. He will take

your money and you will be left with nothing or actually you'll be left with expense after expense and he'll be gone and no reply.

you have been warned.

User Stats

Votes
Emily Alvarez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

I'm an agent with New Western here in San Antonio, I love what we do and what we're able to accomplish for investors. We have over 15 off market listings that come out every week! If you don't have the cash (or even if you do) we have an in house hard money lender that can work with you. I hope you find this helpful and I'm sure whoever you connect with in Houston is going to take great care of you! 

User Stats

Votes
William Harvey
  • Investor
  • Ashburn, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Ashburn, VA
Replied

@Lisa Yan I agree completely with what @Eliott Elias said. These tactics are great if funds are limited and you are just starting out. Direct mail will cost a little bit of money, but if you do a lot of the work yourself, it is mainly sweat equity. 

If you have a bit of money to spend, I recommend checking out @Parth Bhatia and his company, Lead Plug to source off market deals. They manage our Google Ads campaign and we spent about $20k last year and generated $286k in profit from these leads. 

I wrote an article on it you can get to from my signature if you want more of a case study on that. Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I'm always excited to sit and talk with new investors! I'm a licensed real estate agent with NetWorth Realty and we meet with everyone we work with to actually go over what we do and what you are trying to accomplish. We break this complicated process down step by step to provide the best experience in investing. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Lisa, I saw one of my peers post earlier on this thread from New Western. I am one of the Houston area agents. 

Your best bet will be joining FB groups to find some great off market value as well as Craigslist. Outside of the social media space - networking will help you have eyes every where in a city as big as Houston. I recommend attending real estate events via Eventbrite as there are a plethora of events throughout the Houston area daily!

I hope to become a resource for you in Houston if you're still interested in fix/flip & buy/hold SFRs

User Stats

Votes
Leo Furest
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied

Hi Guys, back to BP after a long time. I am managing a Fix and Flip fund in Florida and we are doing really well. We are planning our expansion to Houston, TX with a similar business model. Currently doing 10-15 flips at the same time in Broward, Palm Beach, Dade and Orange County in FL. We focus on Single family homes (no HOA, no 55+), built 1960+ with over 1,000 sq ft and we avoid fire damaged and structural damaged. We are 100% cash, we haven't taken any loans yet, which gives us a lot of advantage versus below flippers when we purchase. I want to connect with experienced flippers in Houston area, visiting the city by the end of March, I want to study the market, the options and start gathering a local team. Feel free to reach out if you are an experienced flipper! See you in Houston!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied

@Lisa Yan

Why does everyone want to chase strangers – and ignore their own personal network?

Which do you think will be more competitive, buying from wholesalers or your own referrals?

Per this NY Times article, the average American knows around 600 people.
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/science/the-average-american-knows-how-many-people.html#:~:text=The%20average%20American%20knows%20about,do%20you%20know%20named%20Kevin%3F

Per the US Census Bureau, the average American moves 11.7 time in their life, which based upon an approximate lifespan of 84 years, works out to be about every 7 years.
https://www.census.gov/topics/population/migration/guidance/calculating-migration-expectancy.html#:~:text=Using%202007%20ACS%20data%2C%20it,one%20move%20per%20single%20year

So, if the average American knows 600 people and they each move about every 7 years, that means that the average American knows around 85 people that move in any given year.

How many of those moves do you want to be involved in?

To maximize the number of transactions you’re involved in you will need to:

• Be Top of Mind when they think about moving - which requires consistent reminders.
  • Be seen as an Expert – which requires a consistent message and Evidence of Success stories
  • Gain their Trust – which requires communicating integrity

So, start out by listing everyone you know in an Excel spreadsheet.

Why Excel? Because later, you can easily use it as your mailing list! Create columns for Name, Street Address, City, State, Zip and then contact info: Last Contact, Relationship, Status, Email & Phone.

IMPORTANT: do NOT ask people for THEIR business, ask for referrals! Why? Because they will get defensive if they feel you are pressuring them. Remember, they can always refer themselves😊

Now, make it a goal to call at least 5-10 of these people EVERY day and ask a MAX OF THREE off the list below of who they know that:

• Just inherited a home
  • Had a loved one pass away
  • Is behind on their mortgage or tax payments
  • Has a relative that can’t take care of their house anymore
  • Has a house they’re having trouble selling
  • Is facing bankruptcy
  • Knows a probate attorney
  • Knows a bankruptcy attorney
  • etc

Why only three off the list per contact? Because on average, we can only remember three things at a time. If you try to go over the whole list, you’ll lose the attention of an average person and they won’t remember anything!

It should only take you about a month or two to contact everyone on your list and then the tough part – you start all over again.

Why the repetition? Because it takes repetition for people to remember things and you have to be top-of-mind when they encounter a potential client for you!

Have you ever been to McDonalds? Of course you have! So, why is McDonalds still spending billions on advertising?

One more tip – people remember stories that trigger their emotions. So, tell a story of how you (or a fellow wholesaler) helped a seller out with their challenge(s). Change your story each month as different stories will resonate with different people AND use each story to emphasize one of your “who do you know…” questions.

As you start closing deals, you will need to reinvest your profits into mailing lists and other scalable activities to grow your business.

One last thing – we recommended you create a Status column on your spreadsheet, now we’ll explain why. If you find someone that seems to know a lot of people needing your services, wouldn’t it make sense to focus more resources on them? Conversely, you will run into people on your list that just seem to be a waste of time, so you’ll want to avoid them. So, create status codes for both of these and a few in-between codes to help you work smarter, not harder.

Please send us any feedback via email, as we do not use the DM feature here.
Also, if you like our response, please don’t be shy about giving us a vote😊

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied

@Lisa Yan

Off-market real estate deals can offer several perks to investors, making them highly sought after. However, many investors may be questioning how to find off-market real estate due to its desirable nature.

There are a number of ways to identify off market real estate deals, all of which should come as no surprise to investors. I recommend pursuing more than one strategy at a time, to ensure the best results. For those interested in getting started, here are some of the best ways to identify off market real estate for sale:

Direct Mail

Online Resources

Networking

Real Estate Agents

Builders & Contractors

Wholesalers

Public Record

Word Of Mouth

Real Estate Auctions

Driving For Dollars

All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied

Hey Lisa, I do a lot of business in the Detroit market and see a ton of off-market deal flow before it sees the general public, marketed as off-market.

Why does it matter?

I've learned that there tend to be a handful of large players in every market that wholesalers will come to BEFORE they market to their "buyer lists". 

What this actually means is that the folks on the buyers list aren't seeing the good stuff. They are seeing the deals the key players passed on. 

My point here is be extra careful when evaluating deals from wholesalers. If you aren't a key buyer in that market you need to understand that several serious players have already evaluated that deal and passed.

Does that mean it won't work for you. Not necessarily, no.

The other option is to go out and try and source off-market deals yourself. Obviously, you're competing with wholesalers that do it for a living, some of which have large outfits.

BUT, I've done it. And as the end buyer you tend to get better responses from folks when cold calling rather than a wholesaler.

Hope that helps.

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!