Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Khushi Mangat
Votes |
To split the bathroom or not

Khushi Mangat
Posted Mar 25 2024, 19:00

I’m seeking advice from this group regarding a situation with our primary residence purchased in 2021. We’ve noticed water seeping issues through the shower tiles, causing damage to the sheetrock in our only bathroom on main floor. The bathroom, measuring 75 sqft, is now being considered for renovation. Our plan is to divide it into two sections: a 3/4 bath with a small standing shower (32 x 32) attached to the master bedroom, and a guest bathroom with a full-length tub (60 x 32), totaling around 40k for the project. We’re debating whether having two smaller bathrooms would be more beneficial than one larger remodeled bathroom, ultimately deciding between a 3 bed 3 bath setup or a 3 bed 2 bath setup (current). I welcome your feedback and appreciate any pointers in case plan to sell in 3-5 years in terms of value addition or turning into rental property, 

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Parsh#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tennessee
Votes |
Shawn Parsh#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tennessee
Replied Mar 26 2024, 04:39

Khushi,

It is difficult to visualize the setup for me without seeing it, but as a general thought I would not want to make a master bath smaller. I think 2 baths for a 3 bedroom house in plenty, but just my opinion. I do not know your market, but I also question whether you would get a return on the remodel with a 40,000 price tag. Hopefully, someone that knows your market will be able to give you input. 

User Stats

Votes
Nick W.
  • Contractor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Apr 10 2024, 12:57

Tough to say with out seeing the bathroom/property. Most three beds around Boston have two bathrooms. If you are going for more sellable a lot of people will like a nice newly renovate bathroom. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions on the renovation or are looking for a construction company to do this work for you!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
James Likis
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Apr 10 2024, 19:07

I’d also be inclined to keep the property as a 3 bed / 2 bath and with a larger master bath. A 3 bed / 3 bath in Boston seems fairly rare, but don’t know that the 3rd bath helps much value proposition wise. 

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Apr 11 2024, 14:48

3 bed, even smaller, that's newly updated is quite rare in the Boston market at an affordable price so if its easy enough to do I would highly recommend it. Do not squeeze it into a space that you think is too hard to navigate comfortably but I think you have the appropriate size here. $40k also sounds very inexpensive and likely unpermitted so just be on the lookout for drive-by inspectors and make sure your contractors have proper workers comp. 

The Elle Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bill J Fay
  • Lender
  • Denver
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Denver
Replied Apr 12 2024, 09:17

All about your comps. Is the value there to justify the $40k spent in reno? Do all homes in your area have large primary bathrooms? Do they have 3 bathrooms? Make sure to get a few bids for this job. $40k seems excessive for this type of project.