• Real Estate Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Options for covering asbestos flooring

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Posted May 5 2014, 16:40

I need to put a new floor in a rental unit over ugly ceramic tile. Only problem is that the tile was laid over black mastic which contains asbestos. The cost to have it abated is $2250. I am looking for alternatives. Can I put a new floor on top Possibly with an underlayment or thin set to smooth out the grout lines first? I would like to do a new tile, but a floating floor would work too. This is in a kitchen and living area, so it could (probably would) get wet. Tile would be best. This is only a 20 X 20 area, so very small.

User Stats

Votes
Rob K.
  • Investor
  • Southeast, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Southeast, MI
Replied May 5 2014, 17:23

You could tile over the tile or use a product like Allure from Home Depot if you first smooth out the grout lines.

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied May 5 2014, 17:36

The vinyl tiles contain asbestos. They have very little asbestos. If you can spray them down with water then pop them with a floor scraper. My flooring guy does it all the time. Unless u grind it that stuff it's really not that big of a deal.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.
Account Closed
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 5 2014, 17:48

unfortunately, in Texas you are not allowed to remove any product with asbestos without hiring a licensed abatement consultant, unless you are an owner occupant and the property is 4 or less dwelling units. All commercial properties require notification to the governing authority and abatement. Or I can encapsulate, which seems less expensive.

User Stats

Votes
Mike M.
  • Longview, TX
Votes |
  • Longview, TX
Replied May 5 2014, 18:28

Was it disclosed to you during your purchase that asbestos was present? If it was, I assume you built abatement into your price. If it wasn't, and you have to disclose it to future buyers, expect that they'll ding you on purchase price. If your this far into it already, could it save you long-term to remove it now?

I understand the low risk it currently seems to present. Akin to Murphy's law, when time is of the essence (future reno, repair, etc), be prepared for abatement to slow you down.

Mike

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 5 2014, 18:43

I knew about it in advance and I planned to go over the existing floor. But I am considering other alternatives to save money. I do think the cost of abatement may be well worth it now to save myself $ in the long run.

User Stats

Votes
Yuriy Tymoshenko
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tallahassee, Fl
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tallahassee, Fl
Replied Jun 16 2015, 21:15
Originally posted by @Mike M.:

Was it disclosed to you during your purchase that asbestos was present? If it was, I assume you built abatement into your price. If it wasn't, and you have to disclose it to future buyers, expect that they'll ding you on purchase price. If your this far into it already, could it save you long-term to remove it now?

I understand the low risk it currently seems to present. Akin to Murphy's law, when time is of the essence (future reno, repair, etc), be prepared for abatement to slow you down.

Mike

What if the asbestos tiles were covered by the carpet and were not disclosed prior to purchase? I have a similar situation where I purchased a property as a foreclosure from bank and receive not so pleasant surprise when I was doing demo.