Newbie rehab of primary residence

5 Replies

I just purchased a primary residence with the intention to rehab it & live in it for a few years before reselling. I thought it might also serve as a nice learning experience for me, since I intend to eventually do some rehabs in the future.

I'm facing a dilemma with my kitchen lights. Here is a photo...

Obviously the lights need to go.  I would love to put in recessed lights, but I don't want to go overboard.  Would it make more sense to just replace those with some pendant lights or something instead?  The closer row is directly over an island.

Thanks for any advice!

Recessed can lights are very popular now & they will be a feature for many years to come, since so many people have installed them. You might consider putting can lights in the back & a couple of more trendy pendant lights over the island. When it comes time to move, you can easily update them, if needed.  

@Mark Spivey - Your lighting question is somewhat of a personal preference kind of thing. But rehabbing a home that you live in - and then getting a HELOC on the equity - that's a great way to get staring into REI.

Originally posted by @Kathleen Leary:

Recessed can lights are very popular now & they will be a feature for many years to come, since so many people have installed them. You might consider putting can lights in the back & a couple of more trendy pendant lights over the island. When it comes time to move, you can easily update them, if needed.  

Thanks for the advice... I don't really know the cost of installing cans, but since it will require rewiring, I expect it will probably cost ~$500 vs <$100 for pendant lights & using the existing wiring & touch up paint.

I was wondering about some sort of mixed solution too, though I'm still unsure if ROI will justify the increased in cost.

Hey @Mark Spivey  ,

We had similar track-lighting in our kitchen and actually just had it replaced this week. I absolutely hate electrical so we subbed it out. We went with three can lights strategically placed for better lighting in certain areas in the kitchen and pendant lights over the island. 

Here's a before and after pic:

You, and future owners, will appreciate good lighting in the kitchen. Imagine trying to chop something up while prepping for dinner and not being able to see what you're doing very well. Pendent lights are, generally, not task lighting. 

You can use the existing wiring and go from 1 to 2 lights (1 light bar to 2 can lights) without a ton of fuss, damage to drywall, or added cost assuming that you can run the additional wiring between the existing ceiling joists or in an attic if there is one above the kitchen. 

An example from a dining/living space: 

Before:

After:

Medium old glory logoDoug W., Old Glory Property Solutions LLC | [email protected] | 571‑620‑2468 | http://www.instagram.com/oldglorypropertysolutions