Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Mike Lusi
  • Johnston, RI
Votes |
Should I open kitchen up to rest of house?

Mike Lusi
  • Johnston, RI
Posted Jul 28 2014, 13:38

Hello all-  I bought and am gut-rehabbing a 1923 Sears craftsman-style bungalow to hold as a rental.  It's a 3BR, 1100 SF, and will have 1.5 baths.  I'm deciding whether to take down the (non-bearing) wall between the kitchen and dining room, or at least box off an opening between the two rooms.  Dining room is pretty open to the living room beyond, through some nice cased built-in bookshelves...so opening the kitchen up also would mean that the whole house except for the bedrooms & hallway would be sort of one connected space.

I am trying to rehab the house in the spirit of its 1920s design, and to make major changes only when they produce a real, indisputable improvement.

The cons: A bit more work to revise the kitchen design.  More work to take the wall out & case in the opening with nice wood.  Much less upper cabinet space in the kitchen.  Couldn't put microwave over the stove so would have to find a spot for it.

The pros: It seems like that's what everyone says they want these days, the open kitchen.  Might make the house feel more spacious overall.

Would I get anything more in rent for the open plan?

Would the boost to eventual resale justify added cost?

What do you think?

Thanks!

Loading replies...