Convert wood fireplace to gas

6 Replies

Does anyone have experience with this? How difficult and expensive?

Gas logs at Lowes start at $169

There are Youtube videos on how to put them in

I'd probably budget 500-1,000 depending on price of the logs and distance to gas line

Using CSST pipe will probably make the job faster

A gas fireplace requires a "chimney" that is no more stout or complicated than your dryer vent (actually there are ventless models out there).  The chimney required for a wood fireplace is a totally different animal.  Building one into an existing home could be tens of thousands of $.

Originally posted by @Jassem A. :

Gas logs at Lowes start at $169

There are Youtube videos on how to put them in

I'd probably budget 500-1,000 depending on price of the logs and distance to gas line

Using CSST pipe will probably make the job faster

I ran one for my daughter.

Tapped into the black pipe outside as the fireplace was cantilevered off the family room next to the gas meter.

I basically drilled through the side of the old wood burning f/p chimney/firebox & ran the black pipe into the firebox & installed a gas log insert.

Even though the gas insert was supposedly "vent free" I added an intake for the combustible air through the side & exhausted it up through the existing chimney.

The total cost was $399 for the remote controlled 22" gas log insert & I added a small blower fan $20 in the firebox. The small fan install took me longer than the gas line hookup.

On LOW heat (with the blower running) the insert heats the entire family room & adjoining kitchen. Next time I would add a wall mounted thermostat to control the heat cycle.

You could run CSST to the firebox but I would advise a black pipe interface within the firebox as it gets very hot within.

Wow, disregard what I typed.  I misread the title.

I have installed 100's of gas logs in wood fireplaces, and can truthfully say that it makes a WORLD of difference. Lots of less mess, smoke smell, fire liability.

#1 word of wisdom--get a LICENSED gas fitter to install the logs, AND get a Permit!!

All localities are different, and have different rules. Having them installed professionally can make you sleep at night, not having to worry about killing someone, carbon-monoxide poisoning, or insurance co's not paying when your house goes up in smoke due to a faulty installation.

yes, CSST can be used, along with copper tubing, and iron pipe, depending on your locality.  Installation will cost between $4-700. depending on the complexity of the job  ie, masonry fireplace, pre-fab, etc.

This is a life-safety issue that could cost you everything you have worked for if it is not properly done, so again, do not try it do-it -yourself.

Steve Toth

Master Gasfitter

Thank you everyone for the help. We making an offer on a house and trying to decide if it would be best to disable the fireplace, making it purely decorative, or change it over to gas. I do not want tenants using a wood burning fireplace.

We're all about do it yourself, but we don't run gas lines. We would get a pro for that. A permit would not be required.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.