Rehab kitchen fail - or: Tragedy on Refrigerator Island!

21 Replies

Oh man, this is awesome.  I found these online, this rehabber really did not know how to layout a kitchen....   Thoughts on Tragedy on Refrigerator Island?  Is this a progressive new trend I'm not hip to?  

Anson Young, Real Estate Agent in CO (#14161n)
303-475-9999

Wow! I wonder where they put the toilet!  haha 

I saw this on Reddit yesterday and was thinking ... well, what were THEY thinking?  Someone clearly did not know what they were doing.  They are going to have one heck of a time selling this house.

If I had to guess...there was a wall there originally, and that's why the outlet is on that island.  They tried to make it open concept, but the wires were still there and rather than put back the wall, they did...THAT.  

Ooooooo..... Yeah... 

Its the new hip thing! Didn't you know! Its been awhile since I've seen the base board look so nice and the extra storage on top of the unit PLUS the space between the fridge and top of the unit! What luxury!

Fail... Looks like a typical Home Depot mistake, where the garden guy filled in for the so-called kitchen designer for the day.

Truly at a lose for words on this...

If I'm looking straight, the fridge will have to come out another inch or two in order for those doors to be able to swing open enough to get the drawers inside to pull out :)

an example of why drugs and remodeling do not mix.

@Dawn Brenengen  - I don't think that flooring is hardwood; it looks more like laminate (AKA Pergo).

This post has been removed.

I especially appreciate that they took the extra time to put a ceiling on the refrigerator box. Maybe you could use the top for extra storage.

Behind that trend setting refrigerator installation is another partial wall, right inside the front door.  Looks to be 6 1/2 feet or so.  I  hope that's not where the bathroom is.  Equally hope it's not the closet although it would ad an always popular, 70's restaurant/lounge feel. 

The diagonal installation of Pergo flooring is a nice finishing touch.  Must be a 20 year old hipster that still thinks they've never had a bad idea.  I've hired and worked with a few of them.

I think you guys are all missing the fact the entire 'thing' is on wheels & can be moved around the kitchen as required.

I think it may not have looked quite so terrible if they had made it ceiling high but the way it stops is just weird. It reminds me of the 4 panel folding Asian art pieces/dressing rooms.

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)
Originally posted by @Chris Christianson :

The diagonal installation of Pergo flooring is a nice finishing touch. ...

If you look at the peninsula half wall in the pictures, you see that the flooring runs parallel to that wall. So I don't think that the flooring was installed diagonally; I think that the wall near that entry door is angled thus giving the appearance that the flooring was installed on the diagonal. May even be the case that the entire entry is some angled addition.

Nice find, @Anson Young  !! I really like the additional storage you get on top of the refrigerator cabinet! Or the ability to hang art from the back of your fridge - now that's the hot new trend.

I made an offer on a 1950s house last year (gut rehab) that had the same size "box" smack in the middle of a 14' x 14' living room.  To it's credit at least it went to the ceiling.  It was enclosed on all sides, with a door on one side, and was encasing the gas furnace.  Someone had added central heating in the 1970s. Most houses in the area were built with wall heaters in the main living areas and the hallways, so no venting or ducts.   There was no place to put the furnace so they put it in the most central location.  It was hilarious.  

There's something about how that refrigerator box is all trimmed out that really draws attention to itself....in a bad way.  I would have put the refrigerator in the garage before putting it there.  Anyone who buys that house will be hearing about it for the rest of time from anyone who walks in the door.

Originally posted by @Vicki Gleitz :

Drugs and remodeling DO mix.  You can get some good work done on the right stimulants.  You can get some good ideas on the right psychedelics.  IMO this project could have benefitted from the right drugs.  

Originally posted by Kristine Marie Poe:
Originally posted by @Vicki Gleitz:

Drugs and remodeling DO mix.  You can get some good work done on the right stimulants.  You can get some good ideas on the right psychedelics.  IMO this project could have benefitted from the right drugs.  

I'm thinking the rehabbers thought they WERE on the right drugs at the time.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.