• Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
First Flip Questions

Eric Le
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Jan 30 2015, 16:27

Hello All,

So I'm on my first flip and got a few bids in. One contractor pointed out the old cloth wiring. I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I don't want to finish the house only to fail inspection on cloth wires. Do I go ask the township ? Will that open cans of worms?  

There's also a crack in the basement wall, that leaks water in (Not much on a heavy rainy day), would that be foundation issue? 

Is carving out the crack, putty in (seal), parge it. Then Kilz sealer (Of course the right way), The right cheap way to fix the leak? 

Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Chad Clanton
  • Contractor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 30 2015, 16:48

Is the wire aluminum? If so and depending on what you're wanting to do with your renovation, you may consider replacing it IMO (yes, potentially a lot of work). Also, code-wise, it never hurts to ask the county. You don't even have to identify yourself or property if it makes you uncomfortable, but they ARE the code people, so they're the ones to talk to. As to the foundation, any water leaking into a basement isn't great, as it'll continually erode over the years. Regarding the repairs, I've never done a patch job on a foundation, so I'll leave that one up to someone who has. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Account Closed
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 31 2015, 04:12

@Eric Le  Have a licensed electrician assess your wiring and then follow his recommendation.  

What kind of foundation, what kind of crack, how old is the house,etc?  

Always fix things right- no band-aids. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eric Le
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 31 2015, 06:47

Thanks for the input gentlemen! 

I totally agree with doing it right,  I want to put out a product that I would use myself. 

The house is 65 years old. Not aluminum wiring.  Its really not a crack now that I'm looking at it. Its more of a wet spot, and the GC are saying that they see dirt is seeping through. 

What I got so far is all the GC 2cent on repair that wet spot. But don't know which is the correct way of fixing the problem, not band aid the symptom. How can one confirm what they're done is the right way? I told them I have a tight budget on this one and planning to flip the house, but I'm afraid that they will cut corners with that thought.  

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Shepherd
  • Rehabber
  • Smyrna, GA
Votes |
  • Rehabber
  • Smyrna, GA
Replied Jan 31 2015, 07:16

No offense to the licensed GC above, but doing anything a tradesman tells you to do will bankrupt you pretty quick.  You gotta think it through yourself and get second opinions and multiple bids.   Get recommendations, but don't blindly follow anything they tell you.

I'd call the county, where I live its fine to leave the cloth wire as long as its not an extensive renovation.  It wont be grounded, so they'll prob make you swap it out if you replace outlets and such. A lot will depend on your exit strategy.  If you are selling it as a complete reno, you should rewire it.  If you're selling it as a 65 yr old house, old wiring is expected. 

Foundation you want to fix from the outside.  I'd get some day labor and dig it out, seal the outside of the wall, then fill the crack on the inside with hydraulic cement and paint the interior wall it with dri-lock.  You also want to make sure the water isn't running towards the house or puddling close to the wall.  Just make sure the gutters are good and the grading runs the water away from the house.