• Fix & Flip, Wholetailing,
  • West Columbia, SC
Votes |
old wall paper, paint over or remove?

Ronnie Boyd
  • West Columbia, SC
Posted Mar 31 2015, 17:31

If I paint over old wallpaper and cut the seams and repair and use a oil base if that easier than removing the wallpaper.

What do you any of you suggest? Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Tim Hackett
  • Professional
  • Ashtabula, OH
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Ashtabula, OH
Replied Mar 31 2015, 17:49

Worst experience ever. 1800 sq ft. Every inch wall paper. Took 90 percent off. Used a tool to score the paper then soaked a sponge in fabric softener and coated the paper with that to loosen. Then it peels off quite easily. Left lots of areas with backing paper remaining. Then took a high grit sandpaper and removed the dry paper. Took many days to complete. Some places when torn off removed the backing paper of the drywall so I had to skim coat. Problem with painting over it- you can still see that there is wallpaper behind it. (Leaves a very porous finish). Second you have basically sealed the paper onto the wall permanently. I like a smooth wall finish so I take it off. But it's a major job. But the results are a clean smooth wall. Looks new vs covered.

I chalked up the time to repainting in the future. I'm into long term holds and like a modern clean look.

But I understand the desire and those that don't want to spend the time. I get it!

(Will never install wallpaper ever lol. Wallpaper phobia now!)

User Stats

Votes
Marci Stein
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Mar 31 2015, 17:51

Do it right the first time--remove for nice clean fresh look.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Victor N.
  • Investor
  • Meriden, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Meriden, CT
Replied Mar 31 2015, 18:10

remove the old wallpaper and paint. Just be ready to do some wall repairs after you remove it. It's a lot of work but well worth it.

There several tools and techniques. I've tried using a heating tool similar to a hairdryer with good success. Once you heat the paper/ glue underneath, it peels off easily.

User Stats

Votes
Bob B.
  • Investor
  • Jasper GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jasper GA
Replied Mar 31 2015, 18:11

If it's adhered to the wall well, paint over it with a shellack based primer. (Zinsser's ,B-I-N's primer)

I cut out any overlapping paper (seams) and fill in with drywall mud or spackle. Water based primer or paint will cause it to peal off.  I have done several rooms this way and they are fine.  Stripping wall paper is painful and time consuming. 

User Stats

Votes
Laird Wynn
  • Beachwood, OH
Votes |
  • Beachwood, OH
Replied Mar 31 2015, 18:18

I have pulled a lot of wall paper in my days.  

Your result will depend on the substrate.   

Here is my approach with plaster:

1.  remove any water resistant coverings like vinyl.  Unless its a foil paper this usually comes off pretty easily in sheets.

2.  Use a tool called a Paper Tiger to score the wall paper.   Really go after it in this step.  The Paper Tiger will make tiny holes in the paper.  The more holes you make the faster the next steps are.

3.  Mix a product called DIF  with very hot water in a garden sprayer or, if you have one, an airless paint sprayer.

4.  Let is soak in an respray.

5.  repeat this step several times.  

6. Use a combination of 4" razor scrapers and drywall knives to remove paper with as little damage to plaster possible.

7.  Wipe the wall down with the DIF solution and a sponge to remove excess glue.

With Drywall its a bit dicey.   Try to pull the paper in layers.  when you get to the drywall make sure that the drywall was properly prepped before the wallpaper was applied.  If the drywall was prepped correctly the paper will pull off with a little help from DIF.

If the wall paper was not prepped, you will pull the face paper off the drywall when you remove the wallpaper and this makes a mess!   If this is the case,  remove any vinly top layers then use two coats of BIN alcohol based shellac.  It dries fast and will seal the surface of the paper.  Skim coat on top of that then prime and paint.   

I've tried it a million ways and the above will get you the best results most easily.

User Stats

Votes
Ronnie Boyd
  • West Columbia, SC
Votes |
  • West Columbia, SC
Replied Mar 31 2015, 18:42

thanks for the feedback from you all 

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Williamson
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 31 2015, 18:54

If its to tough to get off scrap off what is loose then apply 2 coats of polyurethane then mud and sand it smooth

Or

Simple hot water and vinegar to remove

User Stats

Votes
Myles Bergeron
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied Mar 31 2015, 19:21

Try using a steamer. I have had luck with that for smaller jobs. Good luck.