Time management when doing most of work

11 Replies

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone here who does most of the work solo,  was wondering how long does it take you guys to finish the repairs.  What strategies do you use to finish quicker?  Just wanted some input from those who put in a lot of work...thanks.

What sort of repairs are you doing, and have you ever done it yourself before? 

Be reasonable with your expectations, but stick to your time line unless you have something major that pops up. Do it right the first time and you don't have to do it again. I wouldn't be overly concerned about doing it quickly. 

I assume you are talking about flipping. Flipping takes a lot of time. You want to be known as the guy who does a beautiful job, not a half-baked one.

That said, what types of jobs are you looking to make go faster? Hanging upper cabinets in the kitchen can go faster if you screw a 2x4 into the studs to rest the cabinets on while you secure them to the walls. Especially if you are truly solo. 

Using toilet bolts that don't move around as you try to line up the toilet can make that job way easier, too. 

Get a thicker roller cover and roll it slowly up and down the walls as you paint. The thicker cover holds more paint, the slower motion allows paint to really saturate the wall, filling in the low spots on the texture and, if you do it right, you only have to paint one coat. Use a good paint - I like Behr from Home Depot.

Take your time and do it right. As you do more, you learn your own ways to make things go faster. 

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

Just remember time is money.  The longer you take to renovate all by yourself, the less Rent you get.  If you Rent is $1,000 a month and you lose $1,000 in rent just add that to the cost of putting a kitchen in.  Of all the jobs, hanging cabinets is really time consuming.

@Ron J don't try and do everything yourself, time is money, do what you can sub some things out to make it go quicker, being a one man show is tuff set you a time line and stick to it and make sure you hold your subs to the same standards in time and quality, remember it quality not quantity, I hope this helps good luck.

My boyfriend and I have traditionally done most of the work ourselves.  I agree with folks that say that time is money and any rent you aren't getting is another cost of the rehab.

With my first project, I WAYYYY underestimated how long it would take to do some projects.  I had originally given myself 2 months and it ended up being 5.  We both work full time jobs and my boyfriend has primary care for his teenaged daughter, so he couldn't just come over after work every night - he had dinner to make, homework to help with, etc.  

I would leave work at 5, grab some dinner and work from about 6 until 10 every night.  I would then get up early on weekends and work 12-15 hours on the weekends.  This went well for about a month.  And then I was just exhausted.  I started skipping nights and even one or two entire weekends.  I just couldn't do it any more.  So this didn't help my timelines.

If/when you can, hire it out!

As you know Linda the 5 months renovaton time cost you

5 months of Tax

5 months of utilities , electric and water, maybe garbage

5 months of lost rent 

Its got to take you twice as long as a professional to do anything

Its really almost impossible to make it pay to do the work

I forgot about the Mortgage, principal and interest

And Insurance costs

Originally posted by @Barbara G. :

As you know Linda the 5 months renovaton time cost you

5 months of Tax

5 months of utilities , electric and water, maybe garbage

5 months of lost rent 

Its got to take you twice as long as a professional to do anything

Its really almost impossible to make it pay to do the work

Yep.  Definitely a lesson learned.  I still like doing a lot of the work myself, but I hire more and more of it out on subsequent projects.  The first project, it seems like you're always strapped for cash anyways, so you fall into the trap of thinking that you're saving money by doing it yourself, when you're really not.

Everything takes longer than expected. Wishful thinking is the downfall of many construction timelines.

I agree with what others have said. THis goes back to the saying from one of the podcast, You need to be working On your business instead on IN your business.

Originally posted by @Jarrett Harris :

@Ron J.

Are you flipping or doing maintenance for  Buy and Hold?

I'm flipping, but I do agree with hiring when u have the money but when your strapped for cash it can be hard at times.