Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Douglas Larson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Home Staging . . . What the heck is Mid Century Modern?!?

Douglas Larson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Posted May 16 2015, 18:38

I stage all my homes for sale. I have had to adjust to a few new trends over the last decade and a half - mostly color palate (tans a browns changed to soft greens and blues). I am not a designer but I watch some home shows with my wife and attend a couple Parade of Homes each year to confirm we're on the right page with perspective buyers. Together we can stage a home that appeals to 90% of buyers in a given price range with some simple espresso leather sofas, tan carpet, non-offensive drapes and accent pieces. Lately though I keep seeing crazy, ugly stuff on TV and in builder models, all under the name of "Mid-Century Modern." Is that a designer term for, "we ran out of ideas so we're bringing back the ugliest color combinations from the 70's."?!?

Home staging for the masses has been pretty easy up to now but this new trend could be very divisive if 40% of new home buyers are hoping to see orange furniture, plaid wallpaper, shag carpet and avocado drapes. I just can't do it and offend the other 60% of people who haven't yet lost their minds! Anyone else having issues with this?

Pics Below:

Loading replies...