• Investor
  • North Kingstown, RI
Votes |
First flip and another question about cabinets

Kenneth Taylor
  • Investor
  • North Kingstown, RI
Posted Jul 14 2015, 18:25

Flipping a middle of the road home in Rhode Island. Would all plywood cabinets (advertised as such) add enough value to make it worth it over engineered wood? Difference is about $2000, would I see that return or do buyers not care or would not even notice?

Kenny

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Cordle
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Jul 14 2015, 18:34

@Kenneth Taylor

I have found that these are my best options for mid road cabinets. 

They are actually unfinished pine from HD that we simply paint a designer color. 

AC

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Taylor
  • Investor
  • North Kingstown, RI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • North Kingstown, RI
Replied Jul 14 2015, 18:40

@Andrew Cordle

Thats a creative approach that I will definitely keep in mind for future flips! but for this one im mainly concerned about the make and quality, if buyers even notice it and pay extra for it.

Kenny

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dave Shellenberger
  • Investor
  • West Grove, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • West Grove, PA
Replied Jul 14 2015, 18:41

I don't think most buyers look at cabinet box construction, however I would make sure the drawers glides and hinges have the soft-close/blumotion hardware built-in. These are the features they like to brag/show off to their friends. 

Also- I don't know what manufacture you are looking at- but you can always do standard construction and upgrade the exposed cabinet sides to a real wood veneer. That way the sides of the cabinets you see will age at the same rate as the real wood doors ( assuming you are getting real wood fronts )

A lot of times cabinet manufactures use a vinyl side with their standard construction and since that is just a picture of the wood, it will not age and sometimes not look the same as the wood doors.

User Stats

Votes
Adam McCarty
  • Investor
  • Indianola, IA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Indianola, IA
Replied Jul 14 2015, 18:43

Most won't notice unless you tell them and even then might not care or know what the difference is. I think it is more about which looks better with your flip

User Stats

Votes
Moe Hirsch
  • Contractor
  • Passaic, NJ
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Passaic, NJ
Replied Jul 15 2015, 03:55

As a cabinet supplier, usually it's hard to tell the construction of the cabinet once it's installed.

However, if you are holding the property,the cabinets may not last, if you are flipping the feedback I get from my customers is "I have a reputation out there and can't put in junk".