Should I power wash the whole exterior or do some painting?

Should I power wash the whole exterior or do some painting?

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 119 posts · 51 votes

I'm in the process of flipping this house and while I know I'm going to be power washing the brick I can't decide if I should paint any of the white non brick siding or if I should just power wash that also. The dormer siding is aluminum and the siding above and below the three windows next to the garage is vinyl. The paint on both sidings is in good condition. My inclination to paint is mostly due to feeling like there should be some contrast between the trim and white siding to make the house pop more but since the paint is in good condition and aluminum and vinyl sidings are not great candidates to paint I'm not sure if there is enough reason to do it. 

What do you guys think?

note: front door trim and black hand rails are to be painted, new gutters, flashing to be fixed, new garage door going in, landscaping, new driveway

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bonaire, GA · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 82 votes
11y

Don't you have to powerwash before you paint, anyway?

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bonaire, GA · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 82 votes
    11y

    Don't you have to powerwash before you paint, anyway?

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 119 posts · 51 votes
    11y

    And here's the picture

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11y

    Before you power wash .  Mix a solution of 50% bleach and water , add some dawn dish detergent in a pump up sprayer , hit the dirty areas from the bottom up , and rinse with a garden hose . You will be suprised at the results .  And you wont get the uneveness of a power wash wand. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    @Matthew Paulthat's a great concept.  I do have one reservation about 50% bleach/water.  My sewer guy (and he deals with bleach water all the time, of course) said not to exceed more than 1:3 bleach to water so the fumes don't damage your lungs.   Outside you may be ok, but just thought I'd warn folks.  Cheers!

  • Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    We just cleaned our house to be rented and that bleach/water worked wonders. We did 1:3 ratio when sprayed in the gutter it brightened up so much. I wish I would have taken a picture and I would show you the difference. Because we were outside the smell wasn't bad just had to worry about the breeze blowing the water back on us. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    @Matthew Paulthat's a great concept.  I do have one reservation about 50% bleach/water.  My sewer guy (and he deals with bleach water all the time, of course) said not to exceed more than 1:3 bleach to water so the fumes don't damage your lungs.   Outside you may be ok, but just thought I'd warn folks.  Cheers!

    It doesnt matter the concentration of bleach to water . Its the volume of the material used . And ventilation .   1 gallon of bleach to 3 gallons of water is still going to give off the same fumes of 1 gallon of bleach to 1 gallon of water .  To be safe you need proper ventilation .    

    We just cleaned 2 roofs and siding on one house today , basically a 50/50 mix . Went thru 85 gallons .  Proper safety gear , not a big deal 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 119 posts · 51 votes
    11y

    @Amy E. I meant power washing (maybe it should be called pressure washing) in order to clean the existing paint not to spray it off.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 119 posts · 51 votes
    11y

    Thanks  @Matthew Paul @Steve Vaughan @Aleemah Spence for the tip! I will try the bleach + water combo and see how it works. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.