GAS or ELECTRIC appliances

7 Replies

I am doing a new build in a C+ area the exit cost of the house is around 150k. Should I pay the additional $1500 for gas appliances? Or should I just keep everything to stay electric. I know it hurts long term efficiency but it saves on building costs. I just don't know what consumers would want in a low income area like that or if they care. 

Personally if it's low income I would leave electric. This lightens the burden on the resident on one less deposit in most cases when turning on utilities at the same time saves you the added expense of the gas appliance. Just my .02 though....

I don't know about your area, but in my area in Atlanta, I've had a lot of problems with tenants not turning on gas or disonnecting it again, when winter is over. They'll start using those little space heaters, that are a fire hazard. 

And after a few months the gas company will take away the meter. To get that back, I'll have to get a permit and  a licensed plumber/HVAC person has to do a pressure test. Once that is signed up by the city, they'll give the ok to put the meter back. 

It's expensive and a huge hassle. I'm going all electric now, which tenants look for anyway, even if it costs them more for heating.

Ditto what Jeff and Michaela said -- if you are aiming for lower-income tenants (or buyers), go all electric.  It's one less deposit to come up with, plus even if they don't use much gas, there's a monthly service fee just to have the account open.  I've seen and heard of tenants never establishing a gas account and trying to get by with space heaters and hotplates, even when the stove and hot water heater are both gas (as well as the furnace).  Not using a central system can cause mildew problems on top of everything else.

If you really don't know what's standard in the area you're building in though, stop to regroup -- you shouldn't decide anything without figuring that out.  Talking to real estate agents or landlords familar with the neighborhood should be have an idea of what buyers or tenants expect and are willing to pay for.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Michaela G. :

I don't know about your area, but in my area in Atlanta, I've had a lot of problems with tenants not turning on gas or disonnecting it again, when winter is over. They'll start using those little space heaters, that are a fire hazard. 

And after a few months the gas company will take away the meter. To get that back, I'll have to get a permit and  a licensed plumber/HVAC person has to do a pressure test. Once that is signed up by the city, they'll give the ok to put the meter back. 

It's expensive and a huge hassle. I'm going all electric now, which tenants look for anyway, even if it costs them more for heating.

I think we have the same tanants!?!?!?!?!