After analyzing some deals, I am realizing it is highly likely that I will purchase an older dwelling that is going to have some asbestos issues. The main thing that I am seeing right now is the siding probably contains more than 1% asbestos. After reading 40CFR PART61 SUBPART M, I have come to the conclusion that this material can be disposed of as non RACM (regulated asbestos containing material) if removed and handled properly.
If anyone out there has any prior experience with such matters, I would very much appreciate some advice/feedback. Thank you in advance!
Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
10y
I just sold a home last month that had asbestos siding. We went over the asbestos with Hardi siding, painted and sold without any issue. Listed on a Thursday, scheduled 2 groupings of appointments on Sunday, got full price offer, moved to close!
Investor · Northeast, NE · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 83 votes
10y
I would NEVER go over asbestos with anything. Sure it works today. What about in a few years when some tree hugger gets it thru that it all has to come off AND be treated as extremely hazardous waste and costs 10 if not 100;s of thousands to do,,,and if they come back on previous owners????anybody can sue anybody for anything,,,it even costs big bucks to defend the innocent.
Besides all that,,, here,,, those houses need thin osb to seal the cracks in sheathing,housewrap and making the windows proper depth.
HERE we can take off our own,which is a cool drizzly day job. You put down a tarp to catch little pieces,don a rainsuit and respirator and use a potato fork or roofing spade and they roll right off. put a tarp down in the trailer plastic over that, throw it in and wrap the edges together. Double encapsulated and drive to the dump,,,hit the up button on dump trailer and drive away,,,done deal and CHEAP.
I can not see how you can pound nails thru it and not get pieces under new siding and make it badly wavy. Take it off while you legally can and dispose properly for cheap and no worry down the road. Regulations such as these ONLY get stronger,never weaker.
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y
Why do you want to have the siding removed? Asbestos siding has a very long lifespan. I have a property that has it, and I bet the siding is over 100 years old and in very good condition. Even stopped my house from burning down when the neighbors house caught on fire.
After more research, siding over siding is a poor practice. When fixing or building something, I may as well do it right the first time.
Why remove the shingles? After seeing these older homes w/ the shingles removed, I realize how poorly air tight they are. The insulation in the wall is black because it acted as a filter as the air passes through it, moving from the outside inward. Asbestos shingles may be in good shape, but I would prefer an updated looking house with a higher efficiency wrapping of what ever kind to help reduce energy bills.