Basement tile and adhesive removal with pictures.

11 Replies

I am "unfinishing" an unsightly basement for a rental. The basement floor has chipped tile that leaves an adhesive residue behind. It's not so sticky, but will look shoddy if not addressed. Unfortunately, the tile needs elbow grease to come up, and it breaks off in pieces, not one at a time.

My intention is just to remove that tile and adhesive and leave the plain concrete; I am not going to paint it. 

What tools and materials will make short work of getting the tile up in the first place, then removing the adhesive? I heard that a sander will quickly get gummed up with adhesive and won't be effective. If there is an alternative solution like putting carpet squares over it, please provide input on that too. 

It looks like this: 

A chipping hammer and some elbow grease is probably your best bet - there's no silver bullet. And it will be nearly impossible to get up all of the adhesive.

Perhaps more importantly, it's very possible those are old asbestos floor tiles. Make sure you use appropriate PPE and disposal techniques. 

And, for that reason, you probably want to avoid sanding (or anything else that makes the asbestos friable), and you may be better off leaving them in place and just going over them with new flooring. Laminate (or carpet squares as you mentioned) is pretty forgiving when it comes to going over older flooring.

What do you plan on doing with it If yo want to tile you can place a 1/4 inch plywood over it and save a lot of work , or use laminate ,vinyl or carpet This would save a lot of work

A heat gun and scraper works pretty good for getting the tiles up. The adhesive unfortunately is another story. It will gum your sander up in about a minute. I did a kitchen and put new underlayment over the adhesive. Since yours is a basement on concrete, you may be able to use some kind of solvent

Could you just put a floating laminate over it? 

I've learned I like just covering stuff I hate that takes too long. IE popcorn ceilings. 

Those do like 9x9 asbestos tiles, with most likely asbestos adhesive. I would be leary on any technique that causes them to break up, or any sanding/grinding. Check your local requirements, might be best to leave them be and cover over top.

Originally posted by @Brian Pulaski :

Those do like 9x9 asbestos tiles, with most likely asbestos adhesive. I would be leary on any technique that causes them to break up, or any sanding/grinding. Check your local requirements, might be best to leave them be and cover over top.

Cover them with carpet squares with dovetails?? What would be the economical way to deal with it? Basement is mostly dry.

Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij :

I've learned I like just covering stuff I hate that takes too long. IE popcorn ceilings. 

Can you show me a link with a sample of what you have used (or would be suitable) for a basement floor? By the way, the entire basement floor is not like this. Just in one part of one room, maybe a 25 x 15 area. 

Originally posted by @Steven Picker :

What do you plan on doing with it If yo want to tile you can place a 1/4 inch plywood over it and save a lot of work , or use laminate ,vinyl or carpet This would save a lot of work

Just want the bare floor, but that might not be possible without an inordinate amount of work. I was thinking of putting carpet squares down in that area where the bad tiles are. I could call it a children's play area, which is what I would imagine it looking like if these were put down: 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Versatile-Assorted-Pattern-Commercial-Peel-and-Stick-2-ft-x-2-ft-Carpet-Tile-10-Tiles-Case-NCVT001/203051709?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|DigitalDecor|google|D23+Area+Rugs|_pkw__pmt__product_203051709&mid=sf92baGzV|dc_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_142822239807_pkw__pmt__product_203051709_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAjw-uDABRDPz4-0tp6T6lMSJADNoyPbMzSnKjITYYIiyqJAgVOpGq-uZIv64hRi1rkJDIhxJBoC0vTw_wcB

Originally posted by @Paul Winka :
Originally posted by @Steven Picker:

Just want the bare floor, but that might not be possible without an inordinate amount of work. I was thinking of putting carpet squares down in that area where the bad tiles are. I could call it a children's play area, which is what I would imagine it looking like if these were put down: 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Versatile-Assorted-Pattern-Commercial-Peel-and-Stick-2-ft-x-2-ft-Carpet-Tile-10-Tiles-Case-NCVT001/203051709?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|DigitalDecor|google|D23+Area+Rugs|_pkw__pmt__product_203051709&mid=sf92baGzV|dc_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_142822239807_pkw__pmt__product_203051709_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAjw-uDABRDPz4-0tp6T6lMSJADNoyPbMzSnKjITYYIiyqJAgVOpGq-uZIv64hRi1rkJDIhxJBoC0vTw_wcB

I like it a quick and easy solution no need to remove tiles correct?

Originally posted by @Steven Picker :
Originally posted by @Paul Winka:
Originally posted by @Steven Picker:

I like it a quick and easy solution no need to remove tiles correct?

I believe I have a winner here. I don't see any reason to remove the tiles, do you? 

These carpet squares themselves are peel and stick. Now I wonder how much residue these will leave when the eventually have to come up?

Originally posted by @Paul Winka :
Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij:

Can you show me a link with a sample of what you have used (or would be suitable) for a basement floor? By the way, the entire basement floor is not like this. Just in one part of one room, maybe a 25 x 15 area. 

I would just use any laminate with a padding attached. You may have to level the rest of the area though if only that one area has tile....I'm not super sure how to do that. Past my level of improvement knowledge. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here