Turning a 3/1 into a 3/2 vs a 3/1.5 - What's the Better Play?

Turning a 3/1 into a 3/2 vs a 3/1.5 - What's the Better Play?

Sugar Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 17 votes

The question - is it better to make a big room small by adding a full bath or save some of that floor space and only add a tiny half bath?  

I own a 1500 sq foot ranch built in the 50's in a C+ neighborhood in small town Illinois.  The house is currently a 3/1 with the 1 bath being on the opposite side of the house from the bedrooms.

The front bedroom is 11x14.5.  My plan is to take a portion of that room and make a bathroom (bathroom would land in the same hallway as bedrooms).

The question - Do I turn the bedroom into a 9x11 and make a full bath or still a corner of the room and create a 4x5 tiny half bath (which would salvage some floor space in the bedroom).

The other two bedrooms are 12x14.

I've done some forum searches but couldn't easily find this scenario.

0Reply
45 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Madison, CT · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 458 votes
    9y

    @Bob Crane - it really depends on your market. In my market, 9x11 is laughably small for what people are used to. In fact, I haven't checked, because a room that small has not come up in anything I've owned, but my contractor once mentioned that in some towns around here, a room can't be listed as a bedroom if it's under 100 square feet. So check on that before you make a decision.

  • Sugar Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Thanks, Kevin.  I never thought about a minimum bedroom size.  I've always been told if it has a closet its a bedroom.  There are some 9x11's around here.  Basically you fit a twin, a small dresser, and that's it.

    That's why I wondered about just creating a half bath.  That would then give me enough real estate for someone to tuck a dresser in the alcove created and leave the remaining floor space for a bed and foot traffic.

  • Sugar Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Interesting response from a local realtor/investor (who has several rentals):

    "Are you selling?  Then add a half bath and leave room for buyer to add a shower."

    "Are you going to rent it out?  Then do nothing.  In this house a 3/1 rents for the same money as a 3/2."

    I was surprised.  At this point I'm leaning toward finishing everything else with the house, re-reviewing budget, and determining if there's enough room in the budget to add a half bath.  My big concern is what happens if the single toilet goes down and there's no other option.  Yikes.

  • Lockport , NY · Member since 2014 · 265 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    why not add a shower and not a full tub.  you can get a decent sized shower in there and still maintain an 11x11 bedroom.  or turn the shower long ways in the new bathroom, making a 3x4' shower and an 11x12 BR. 

    2 cents...

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    9y

    @Bob Crane

    I would push for a shower option in lieu of a tub.  Without seeing a sketch its hard to visualize the layout.  At the same time this is a C+ area.  I could see doing any of the 3 options really.  If selling the 3/4 may add the best bang for the buck.

  • Sugar Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    If I add one I think I'll take the suggestions of this thread and make a small half or 3/4 bath.  That'll leave me with an additional 5x6 area in to the room.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Every area is different so keep that in mind with my advice. For value at sell, a 2 bath will be worth more than just 1 or 1.5 and considering your statement that the one current bath is on the other side of the home, I would (in my area) definitely add a second full bath (or at least toilet, sink, and shower, leaving out the tub). I am not sure about rental value if it is worth having the added bath but definitely for the resale value.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.