Which Component of Rehab Offers Best Return on Sweat Equity

Which Component of Rehab Offers Best Return on Sweat Equity

Real Estate Agent · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 28 votes
I wanted to get the opinion of the board on which component of the rehab process offers the "best return on sweat equity." Whether it be HVAC, basic carpentry, plumbing, tile/masonry, etc..... I have a good deal of experience with electrical work and basic framing, demolition work. I don't think I have the finesse or patience for painting or anything as far as finishing goes. I'm considering approaching my flip projects with me taking on and "specializing" in one area of the rehab while subbing out the rest. I assumed I'd handle the demo and electrical portions but am interested in what everyone thinks as far as what specialty "pays" the most to be proficient in when it comes to doing the work yourself, assuming the quality of work is on par with contractor(s).
0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Principal · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2010 · 200 posts · 89 votes
9y

Electrical is a great skill Brian... as you know the mechanical trades are often the most costly on any project.  Any of the mechanical trades you can handle yourself (assuming you have the time) makes sense. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Principal · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2010 · 200 posts · 89 votes
    9y

    Electrical is a great skill Brian... as you know the mechanical trades are often the most costly on any project.  Any of the mechanical trades you can handle yourself (assuming you have the time) makes sense. 

  • Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 59 votes
    9y

    I am not sure about PA. However in NJ. If you hold a property as an individual you may perform your own repairs and pull permits. However, if the property is being held by a Corp you will need licensed pros for the HVAC/Plumbing and electric. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    9y

    The mechanical trades in which you would pay a tech/company $100+/hr i.e. plumbing, electrical, HVAC.  I usually do as much plumbing as I can on my rehabs as this is my specialty.  I'm a lousy painter so I leave that for the crew that can knock a whole interior house out in 2-3 days. 

  • Investor · Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    A trade magazine called "remodeling" comes out every year with a list of the best return on investment for remodeling. Just about every year the top 3 are Kitchens & Baths, Windows & Doors. However much you can do yourself of these will provide the best return.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.