Rehabbing & House Flipping
Account Closed
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
GFR

Account Closed
  • Tucson, AZ
Posted Nov 29 2009, 03:35

Is that what it's called? The outlet in the bathroom that has the black and red buttons to reset if the thing shuts off? A while back I plugged a cell phone charger into it and it quit, but I got it reset. Last night I plugged an oxygen concentrator into it--about 4 AM. Woke up about 7:30. and the machine is off. It doesn't want to reset.

It works both bathroom outlets. The machine had been in the second bath and worked okay until last night. I moved it to my bath yesterday. So this AM I moved it back to the other bath, and that outlet is not working. When I push the reset button, it just pops back out immediately, when I release my finger.

What's wrong, and what do I need to do?
Ofgift

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied Nov 28 2009, 23:40

They're called GFCIs. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. Its bad. They don't last forever. Replace it, or get someone to replace it.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Tooley
  • Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Dec 3 2009, 10:49

Also, check your circuit breaker at your panel. If your GFI is bad, it may have tripped it.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.
Account Closed
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
  • Tucson, AZ
Replied Dec 5 2009, 03:41

A friend came to replace it. When I showed him that it would not re-set, that he should check the breaker box first, it DID reset. So we did not replace it.
Should we have? When it first tripped, it would not reset. I did not try to reset it after the fifth or so attempt. When he came, close to a week later, it did.
Ofgift

User Stats

Votes
Ryan A.
  • Lisbon, CT
Votes |
  • Lisbon, CT
Replied Dec 15 2009, 22:26

Are you overloading your circuit?? I did a quick search and found some specs for these machines that indicated they consume around 500 watts. If this machine surges when it cycles, and you have other appliances on this circuit......

Otherwise check your circuit for a ground or other fault. They sell these testers at your local big box store. They plug right in and show the status of the line. If all is ok and it is still tripping I'd replace the GFCI like Jon H said. Better to be on the safe side.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Shadow
  • Investor
  • Bellefonte, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bellefonte, PA
Replied Dec 15 2009, 22:41

My thoughts are if it has black and red buttons on it then it is pretty old. All the ones I have seen in the past 10 years or so have had buttons the same color as the receptacles. The ones with the red buttons were when the GFCI's were first introduced so people would notice that there was a big red button that was begging to be pressed.

-Michael

User Stats

Votes
Mark Yuschak
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Grand Blanc, MI
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Grand Blanc, MI
Replied Dec 15 2009, 22:49

I agree - simply replace it. It sounds quite old. For $11 a new one could be had.