Votes
Norm Kopesky
  • Appleton, WI
Votes |
Property rehab brrr strategy

Norm Kopesky
  • Appleton, WI
Posted May 22 2017, 18:11

As I'm armpit deep in this rehab it occurred to me that my family and I do almost all our repairs but laying carpet. 

I'm wondering what other investors do on their rehabs? 

Scalability is the downfall of being this hands on, are there downsides to going hands off, and running the rehab from a phone?

Thanks in advance 

Norm

User Stats

Votes
John Monday
  • Investor
  • Temecula, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Temecula, CA
Replied May 22 2017, 18:16

I wouldn't say there are downfalls, it's just different. You have to have a contractor you really trust if you go completely hands off. Maybe for your situation you can sub out certain work and make sure you are still actively checking out the property. It's always hard to give up certain things in your business, but if you are able to pay the extra money for the work, it will give you more time to bring more deals in.

User Stats

Votes
Johann Jells
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied May 24 2017, 18:59

I'm in a job I subbed out the gutting of the kitchen bath and LR and I was going to do the trim work after they did the bath drywall and tile floors.  They're long gone and I'm still finding "easter eggs" of poorly done crap that makes my job harder, or things done wrong enough that I had to redo them, like he used stair nosing instead of stool molding for the window sills. And this was a contractor I had used several times before. I guess he never wants to work for me again. 

The downside of doing it myself is that I take forever.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Norm Kopesky
  • Appleton, WI
Votes |
  • Appleton, WI
Replied May 25 2017, 06:01

I like that, bring more deals in. 

Thanks John Monday 

User Stats

Votes
Norm Kopesky
  • Appleton, WI
Votes |
  • Appleton, WI
Replied May 25 2017, 09:10

Johann, I would be that guy to put the wrong trim in, but that's why I don't contract. 

I'm still learning the right way to do the repairs, and were to spend the money. 

It seems like the guts merit a good investment but the jury is out yet on faucets and flooring and doors. 

Norm