is a mother in law addition a good idea in denver

8 Replies

I am currently remodeling a flip in Denver which has a mother in law potential with a walkout basement.  I am wondering if having a mother in law addition is a good feature for sales or better to change to a big open house.  the price range of the house is 800K in Denver.

This post has been removed.

Although you mentioned that it's a $800k house, I think it makes a big difference what kind of house that is for the area. If it's a high-end house, then it might not be a valuable selling point. If it's the kind of house that would attract a market who would appreciate a mortgage-helper, then it's a great idea.  On the other hand, I think the future will place a great deal of value on a ground floor, wheelchair accessible suite as the proportion of seniors continues to grow. And a lot of twenty somethings end up moving back in with their parents in markets that are too expensive to break into.  For those and a few other reasons, I'd lean towards adding the suite but a local realtor would be your best source of info.

@Ric Weidner the first step is to see if you can get a building permit for it. That will answer the zoning question. If zoning doesn't allow it, then you can't get a building permit. If you are adding a 2nd kitchen without a permit, I would not advise that, especially in an $800k house. 

Thank you for all your advice.  

Matt M

University Hills, No existing kitchen, not sure the zone

Valerie Hiscore

We totally agree.  Thank you

Bill S

Good point..Thank you for your advice.

personally I would ask real estate agents you trust if there are more people looking for inlaw set ups in the 1 mil range than there are available houses 

Hi Matt  No, this brick house was built in 50'.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.