1 BR Septic Permit on 3 BR House - how do I fix this?

1 BR Septic Permit on 3 BR House - how do I fix this?

Kelly RastatterPro Member
Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2015 · 149 posts · 135 votes

I have a deal I am trying to do my due diligence on. The septic was permitted for a 1 bedroom tank and the house is a 3/2. The wholesaler notes the septic tank is too small and needs to be replaced with a bigger one but hasn't done any investigating past that note.

I think I need to find out if the permit matches what was actually installed and if not, can I get it permitted correctly? Don't know how to do this.

If really too small, don't they have to perk test to see if a larger one can even be installed?

Wouldn't the leechfield have to be replaced to accommodate a bigger tank too?

What else am I missing?

What are my steps to get an estimate of what this cost would be and if it can even be done? I don't want to end up with a property I can't actually fix and sell.

Experienced input is very much appreciated!

1Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
8y

Talk to the relevant city or county to find out requirements.  Talk to septic system companies to find out the costs.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    8y

    Talk to the relevant city or county to find out requirements.  Talk to septic system companies to find out the costs.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    In the end this is a 1 bedroom house from a value standpoint now. For septic lot size matters as for a standard gravity septic you need a space for the leach field. This is cheaper then any other type of septic. Some towns will list contractors on thier web site who have worket in the area. They may know the local issues with upgrading even without looking at the property. Also check the age of the system, if it is very old that is an issue, we once had a house with a brick septic, that isnt common but age can contribute to whether you need a tank or tank plus leach field. Price it all.
  • Real Estate Investor & Consultant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 620 posts · 386 votes
    8y

    @Kelly Rastatter I recently had this issue and posted the job on craigslist, asking for responses WITH referrals on their septic work. 

    I was able to find 3 good subs who came out to see it and gave me a quote. Chose one who had good referrals and a  good price, and they knew how large it needed to be. 

    IF you are working with referrals, def check w/ city also. 

    Onwards!

    sjw

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.