Rehabbers and Flippers - Getting a Contractor's License

7 Replies

Rehabbers and Flippers - do you have your own GC license? Or do you contract with a GC instead?

If you do have your own license - How much does that cost you to maintain each year, including insurances? What about up front cost?

And do you sub out all, most, or some of the work performed on your deals?

Do you take on jobs for other clients, or do you solely have your license for your own deals?

Lastly - Do you also have your RE Agent license?

I'm debating on getting it. Trying to determine how much it will cost and how much I can save on rehabs.

And if it's worth it for how many deals I'm doing in a year.

In OK there is no GC license.. hate/love relationship.

I'm a newbie. What benefit would having a GC license provide? I can just hire all the subcontractors myself, can't I?

Can't pull permits around here without the license.

I would think a license would be almost useless unless you have real experience in construction. The real value if a good GC is their knowledge of the flow of a project and all the potential snags. I've read some pretty insane threads on BP in which people are putting sheetrock on before wiring or plumbing and such. That's a simple example but things get more subtle. If I don't know how to fly a plane a license won't prevent catastrophe. they also have crews and subs and a realistic view on actual cost and time. I know licensed guys whom are actually not good tradesmen but excellent GC's in that they understand how things work and are good managers. so yeah, it can't hurt and just like real estate if one is willing to learn it could really be an asset. in many states a homeowner can pull permits so it really isn't that necessary for that.
I would like more insight on this topic also. I've completed a few flips and several rehabs as rentals. I've done alot of the work myself and coordinated other contractors as needed. I understand the ins and outs of construction and renovations but I wonder if it's worth getting a license.

@Max T. I spend around 20k for my insurance and yearly maintenance excluding work comp premium. For small mom-pop shops, i’ve heard Workers comp alone is about 1,500/year + premiums here, another 2-4k for all other types. You will need W2 or employees instead of 1099s (in reality they will never fly - per IRS, in CA at least). Guess if you don’t have enough volume, there’s a less chance of audit. When you pull permits, and on your own license, the city will assume that you know what you are doing and will expect everything to be standard. Maintenance yearly is very dependent on state and what your state allows, in TX, there’s very little license requirements.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here