Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Jody Schnurrenberger
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
What special touches/amenities do you add when you renovate?

Jody Schnurrenberger
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Asheville, NC
Posted Dec 9 2017, 08:53

What special touches or amenities do you add when you renovate?  I'm not talking about paint color or flooring until you do something special like an accent wall in red or cork floors.  I have some upcoming projects, so here's my list...

Some are things they would like, such as #3 and others are things I do simply to protect my home, like #1.  And some I only have to do once, like #1 and others I do every time I renovate and possibly at every changeover like #5.

1.   Apply varnish under sink cabinets to prevent water damage in case of leaks.

2.   Add door stops to protect walls.

3.   Add 1 USB outlet to the kitchen and each bedroom.

4.   Label the electrical panel.

5.   Flush the water heater.

6.   Check every door for squeaks, loose hardware, or sticking and fix them.

7.   Be sure the address number is on the street, mailbox, and house.

8.   Provide a fire extinguisher for the kitchen.

9.   Provide a stick stopper for all sliding glass doors.

10. Ensure all properties have gutters and gutter guards.

11. Trim dead limbs from trees.

12. Seal all holes in exterior of house such as around water faucets.

13. Aerate lawn and apply fertilizer, lime, and weed killer as needed.

14. Ensure there is a drain pan under the water heater.  (Some of these things are for newly acquired properties.)

15. Run lye water down all drains.  (I make soap, so I have lye, but any drain cleaner would do.)

16. Ensure all cabinets have moulding on top.  (I go for higher end rentals like granite counters.)

17. Depending on the property, consider crown moulding in the living room.  (Probably a waste, but I love it!)

18. Ensure bedrooms and den have ceiling fan lights.

19. Add night light switches (lighted light switches) to bedrooms and bathrooms.

20. Add a programmable thermostat.

21. If property might have water problems, created raised planter beds (among other things) to direct water.

22. Service HVAC.

23. Pressure wash house, driveway, etc.

24. Add motion sensor lights so they can see to get in the house when they drive up.

25. If needed, update faucets and replace all hoses, pipes, washers, seals, etc. if I do.

26. Replace exterior faucets with frost proof ones.

27. Add grab bars in showers and tubs when needed/possible.  (Supposedly you can't to fiberglass ones.)

27. Landscape variations include perennials around the mailbox, dwarf blueberries, and always a tea olive grown from a cutting from my mother's house in memory of her.

I can do a lot of this work myself.  I realize I'm spending a lot of money I don't have to, but a lot of the items are only a 1x (or rarely) expense and I think it subconsciously adds perceived value to the homes, making my renters happier and hopefully more willing to take good care of the home and hopefully pay higher rent.

What do you do to make your property stand out, to protect it, or that perhaps you believe others simply don't?

Loading replies...