What is your tax rate when flipping houses

What is your tax rate when flipping houses

Hazelwood, MO · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 21 votes

Hi Everyone, I'm about to obtain a house and flip it. I was wondering what you're tax rate is when you flip houses. From what I read, I could be paying 40-50% in taxes. Do you guys have any strategies you use to save on taxes. Also is the IRS going to look at your taxes with more closely since there is a lot of money coming and going. 

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Laith Ali:

I was hoping there was something i was missing because I always hear owning a business is great because you pay so little in taxes, but at the same time I also hear business pay so much taxes. I'll believe the second statement from  now. It's really a shame that we have to pay so much taxes, its going to be really hard to grow your business if they keep taking half your income. 

I pay a lot in taxes....and you know what, I feel blessed to live in a time and a place where I can make a ton of money doing something I love.  

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Laith Ali

    If you are flipping, the properties are inventory - just as if you were selling shoes or automobiles.  Your proceeds of sale will be treated as income and taxed accordingly.

  • Real Estate Investor & Consultant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 620 posts · 386 votes
    8y

    @Laith Ali my understanding is that if you flip it within 1 year, you'll be charged taxes at your normal tax rate, so it depends on what you make...and if you flip after 1 year, then it will be taxed as capital gains. 

    Onwards!

    sjw

  • Rental Property Investor · Willard, OH · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Laith Ali:

    Hi Everyone, I'm about to obtain a house and flip it. I was wondering what you're tax rate is when you flip houses. From what I read, I could be paying 40-50% in taxes. Do you guys have any strategies you use to save on taxes. Also is the IRS going to look at your taxes with more closely since there is a lot of money coming and going. 

     Your sale proceeds minus all costs, including purchase price, renovations, selling fees, etc are tax at your ordinary tax rates. 

    It’s not treated differently than any other forms of income. 

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Ward:

    @Laith Ali my understanding is that if you flip it within 1 year, you'll be charged taxes at your normal tax rate, so it depends on what you make...and if you flip after 1 year, then it will be taxed as capital gains. 

    Onwards!

    sjw

     I wouldn't build your business plan on that, but would confirm with you accountant about intent first.   You might be able to play the "I bought it for rental purposes, but something came-up and I sold it" line once or twice, but if you are regularly rolling properties, they will be considered inventory, not assets.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    If you are waiting for the price to rise. It makes sense to renovate most lease it briefly and do flooring and counters last after tenant moves out. You can put it on the market like on 10th and wait to close 1 year after previous COE to take advantage of long term capital gain. the likely hood getting audited in way higher vs if you are waged year after year.

  • Hazelwood, MO · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 21 votes
    8y

    I was hoping there was something i was missing because I always hear owning a business is great because you pay so little in taxes, but at the same time I also hear business pay so much taxes. I'll believe the second statement from  now. It's really a shame that we have to pay so much taxes, its going to be really hard to grow your business if they keep taking half your income. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Laith Ali:

    I was hoping there was something i was missing because I always hear owning a business is great because you pay so little in taxes, but at the same time I also hear business pay so much taxes. I'll believe the second statement from  now. It's really a shame that we have to pay so much taxes, its going to be really hard to grow your business if they keep taking half your income. 

    I pay a lot in taxes....and you know what, I feel blessed to live in a time and a place where I can make a ton of money doing something I love.  

  • Hazelwood, MO · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 21 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
    Originally posted by @Laith Ali:

    I was hoping there was something i was missing because I always hear owning a business is great because you pay so little in taxes, but at the same time I also hear business pay so much taxes. I'll believe the second statement from  now. It's really a shame that we have to pay so much taxes, its going to be really hard to grow your business if they keep taking half your income. 

    I pay a lot in taxes....and you know what, I feel blessed to live in a time and a place where I can make a ton of money doing something I love.  

    It's really interesting that you feel blessed paying that much in taxes. I wish you could send some money my way so that you would get more blessing :)

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    I second what @Russell Brazil said. My first boss would tell me that his life's goal was to pay $1,000,000 a year in taxes. I always thought he was crazy, but I've now made that my goal as well.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.