Water meter cut at the street?

5 Replies

Has anyone come across this?  I am evaluating a property and the water meter has been removed from the pipe at the street level.  Does the water company cut these when the previous owner is delinquent or something?  Do they come back and replace them when I establish new service?

I have never heard of this happening, so I am looking for some guidance on this, and possible expense for resolving it.

Thanks!

I’ve seen the water company disconnect the pipe at the street when the house was winterized. It was a vacant short sale listing I had. You’ll have to call the water company or the town to see what’s going on.

Originally posted by @Julie N. :

I’ve seen the water company disconnect the pipe at the street when the house was winterized. It was a vacant short sale listing I had. You’ll have to call the water company or the town to see what’s going on.

It wasn't just disconnected or turned off, it was removed.  Someone literally cut it off of the pipe at the street level.  Is that normal?  And who installs a new one?  Is that the water company?

We had a similar occurrence on a rental property here. However, the City claimed the pipe ruptured at the City mid-street main & the 'emergency' shut-off was charged out at $1200.

The City then insisted that we pay for a new replacement water line from their mid-street main to the inside meter because the old hook-up/interface was lead pipe. It's the property owners responsibility to reconnect so $8,000 + $1200 later we had water. 

I have had it happen many times.  Often the meter has been removed due to prior abuse by the resident(breaking the lock) or many remove after a period of inactivity

Usually, the supplier will install the meter as part of the connection process.  Any damage on the owner side would be the owner's responsibility.  Never had a repair exceed $100

@Cara Lonsdale I would call the water company and find out what the procedure is for getting the pipe back installed and find out who's responsible for that cost.  Just factor it into your rehab costs and you should be good.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here