Recommendation wanted for ceiling scraping

8 Replies

Does anyone in the Denver area have a good recommendation for someone I can hire that would scrape my popcorn ceilings? Thanks BP community!

I did it myself ONCE. Never again!

Have you tested for asbestos? That can really impact your budget. I can't remember if non-asbestos was $1 or $2 a sqft to remove. Craigslist might work for someone. 

@Heather Rudy I would watch a few youtube videos and see how easy it is, then decide if you want to DIY, which is what I would do especially if you have some teenagers sitting around. It's pretty easy. 

@Heather Rudy another vote for having it tested first. I have a couple options for you if you are looking to hire it out. Send me a pm. If you DIY, then the best plan I've seen is tape painter's plastic all around and over the floor. Scrape it down and then roll it up and done. If you don't do that, the clean up is time consuming and can be a bit messy.

There is a tool they sell at the big box stores like HD that you attach a small plastic bag to (like you get every time you go to the store). The bag catches most of the material as you scrape. Just spray, scrape and toss the bags as they fill up. I would test for asbestos as well if it is pre-1980.

On another note...if the acoustic ceiling has been painted over with a latex paint, expect to pay A LOT MORE. To remove the acoustic texture, it is first wetted down and then scraped.  If there is latex paint over the texture the water cannot penetrate and it becomes a much more difficult process. Most contractors avoid bidding on those jobs or charging a lot to do it.  I have even seen some contractors that sheet rock over the existing and just texture the new drywall. 

Ray makes a great point. We had one of those situations recently and it was easier to just rock over the popcorn - plus you get a nice clean surface for flat or knockdown finish.

Originally posted by @Mark S. :

Ray makes a great point. We had one of those situations recently and it was easier to just rock over the popcorn - plus you get a nice clean surface for flat or knockdown finish.

This is the route I would look at. I had a client hire someone to take down her asbestos popcorn. It cost a couple grand for a small apartment. They just ended up tearing down the drywall ceiling. They left her with an unfinished ceiling where she had to hire someone else to install new drywall.

PS - I've taken samples down to Family Environmental in Rino for testing. It was maybe $30 IIRC. 

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I’m checking it for Asbestos & then I’ll go from there.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.