Countertops for Rentals - Charlotte, NC

14 Replies

I just had a terrible experience with countertops and I'd like some advice. 

We ordered laminate countertops from Lowes and we're told 4-6 weeks for installation. Nothing special or unusual about them. Took them 8 weeks to come in and 4 out of 6 of them were wrong.  Lowes refunded our purchase but the manager told me they have a lot of issues with their 3rd party who does the countertops but there is only 1 company who does it in the area. 

Questions:  

1. What do you typically install for countertops in rentals that is durable, cost effective, and can be installed in a timely manner?  

2. Can anyone recommend any countertop places in the Charlotte area? 

If the counter layout just has straight sides (no corners), you can buy 8' wide sections of basic laminate counters for under $100 in stock at a lot of stores and cut them to the length you need. If there's a corner involved, I order them in pre-cut which takes 3 weeks and costs around $25-30/foot.

Originally posted by @Will G. :

been through this so many times, tried everything, dark colored granit is probably best (light colors stain) but expensive. I installed this for under$10 a square and has worked out well

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/67/topics/229...

Great link and that did look pretty cool having the 32x32 on there. I had to settle for these which are 12x12 because I was in a time crunch, but I liked what you did a lot. (Sorry but it kept flipping the image on me no matter what I did). 

looks great, just use epoxy grout and you will be happy!

Learn to pour concrete counters and you have strong counters and can actually pour them for about 10 sqft for material.

Lowes & HD are great for supply - but nix their contractors.  I never use anything but laminate countertops on rentals.   Get a carpenter to install @ $20/hr - put an ad on Craigslist Gigs - should be a few hours with the cabinet install.

Laminate counter are preferred for rentals. Inexpensive and easy to replace. Problem with any other material is that when tenants damage it, tenants can/will damage anything, it is more work to replace.

@Curtis Waters   Thanks I'll try that. 

@Thomas S. I understand that but I mentioned I was having an issue with the supposed only supplier in the area. 

I know you mentioned the supplier being the problem however.....contractors do not put up with a supplier that fails to provide the required goods. There must be another source that they are using. You will need to find a supplier farther away. Check and see if another building supply outlet in your area uses a different supplier.

Regardless you need to use laminate in rentals.

Instead of going the Lowes route to find a contractor, why not find a kitchen contractor first who does laminate? They will have access to the countertops through the manufacturer. That is who I would be reaching out to.

I'll check those out. 

Originally posted by @Will G. :

been through this so many times, tried everything, dark colored granit is probably best (light colors stain) but expensive. I installed this for under$10 a square and has worked out well

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/67/topics/229...

This is a great cheap/easy way to do it, especially with the metal edging on the sides. It looks clean and contemporary.

At my store (I run a local tile shop) we have 24x48" tiles which would allow for even less grout lines. 

@Jeff Engstrom can you tell any tile manufacturers that the world needs a 25" x 30, 32, 48 etc to stretch from back of counter to overhang? i would like to try the 24x48 but what do you do to avoid a grout line up front or in back with only 24 inches?

Just get on Yelp and type in your search and you’ll get a good contractor that does laminate countertops with reviews. I found mine like that and he charge me $400 to cut it and install it.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here