Is a mold certificate necessary after a flood?

3 Replies

I'm currently working on my first flip in a suburb of Houston.  It had 43" of water in it and was completely dried out by the previous homeowner.  My contractor told me that we needed a mold certificate before he could close up the walls and that it would protect us from any liability when we sell the home.  $3,400 budget has taken a significant hit.  Between the inspection ($595), encapsulation paint and cleaning ($1,900), air duct vapor treatment ($700), and another inspection to receive certification ($250), I'm wondering if all of this was necessary.  There's another house I'd like to bid on and the seller disclosed that they had ServPro dry out the house for $4,000+ and they provided all documentation on what they did.  It's been 6 months since Harvey so I'm wondering what all is necessary.  I've approached these flips as if I was buying the home.  Being in a humid environment, mold is at the forefront of your mind and I'd want to know my family was safe if I were buying a flooded home.  Just trying to balance the budgets on these though.

You are flipping a house that had 4 feet of water and you're asking if a mold certificate is really necessary? Seriously? 

Before you get judgmental...let me rephrase by saying there is no mold present in the home.  Homes in our area were dried out, cleaned, and moisture levels documented.  They have been taken down to the studs in most cases.  So the question is what further remediation is necessary if the previous steps have already been taken.

I have the same question. I’m in the process of buying an off market deal for a home that has not been remedied/ dried out. It’s covered in mold.

I’m getting, what I believe is, a good deal. The guy that does work for me has worked on homes like this before.

My understanding is that at time of sale, we will need to show some type of “mold certification “ to prove that the house no longer contains mold, and will not pose a health hazard to the buyer and their family. (Liability)

I wonder if there is a “checklist “ available somewhere, or provided by a government agency of what all is required for these types of homes.

Hiring a restoration company will be expensive, plus the tend to inflate their prices, in my personal experience.

I once had a rental suffer a fire. Thankfully, no one was hurt, except for a dog dying from smoke inhalation. Almost immediately after the fire, i was bombarded by several restoration companies, and several seemed “scammy” to me. One company even asked that I sign a contract with them, so that they can simply give me an estimate. Their approach was that I sign over power of attorney to my insurance company, so that the insurance company can pay them directly, and they would handle the entire process. It just didn’t seem right to me.
I digress....

Back to the main topic: I hope other BP’ers will share their experiences on rehabbing flooded/mold infested homes/flips.

Thx for starting this Lindsay

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here