Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Lindsey S.
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Is a mold certificate necessary after a flood?

Lindsey S.
  • Houston, TX
Posted Mar 12 2018, 13:40

I'm currently working on my first flip in a suburb of Houston.  It had 43" of water in it and was completely dried out by the previous homeowner.  My contractor told me that we needed a mold certificate before he could close up the walls and that it would protect us from any liability when we sell the home.  $3,400 later...my budget has taken a significant hit.  Between the inspection ($595), encapsulation paint and cleaning ($1,900), air duct vapor treatment ($700), and another inspection to receive certification ($250), I'm wondering if all of this was necessary.  There's another house I'd like to bid on and the seller disclosed that they had ServPro dry out the house for $4,000+ and they provided all documentation on what they did.  It's been 6 months since Harvey so I'm wondering what all is necessary.  I've approached these flips as if I was buying the home.  Being in a humid environment, mold is at the forefront of your mind and I'd want to know my family was safe if I were buying a flooded home.  Just trying to balance the budgets on these though.

Loading replies...