Votes
Jose M.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
New help on painting walls

Jose M.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Posted Mar 18 2018, 08:50

need help on painting walls on my new purchase home where I have old what trim and cabinet

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Mar 18 2018, 09:44

Buy paint , drop cloths , a brush and a roller . Then start working , clean up when done .

User Stats

Votes
Jose M.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Mar 18 2018, 10:13

I mean any ideas on color.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Shadonna N.
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied Mar 18 2018, 10:21

What is the goal for the property: rental or flip?

User Stats

Votes
Jose M.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Mar 18 2018, 10:44

To live in. Just need ideas on what colors to paint my walls with outdated wood trim and built in cabinet. I was thinking accent wall the fireplace wall is open with my dining room wall with the built in cabinet. That is not my furniture. So the furniture will be replace

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Saskatchewan , Saskatchewan
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Mar 18 2018, 10:56

Paint the trim white, walls light grey, replace the tile, refinish hardwood espresso. Love to see what the kitchen looks like on this.

That trim is legitimately wood from what I see, not mdf. As painful as it is to cover up oak with paint, i’d probably do that before I tore it out and used mdf mouldings.

Account Closed
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Mar 18 2018, 10:58

Cabinet white too. And expect to have to sand down drawers where they contact the cabinet unless they’re on sliders already. If they’re wood on wood you’d be surprised how easy it is to make doors and drawers not slide nice with a coat of primer and paint!

User Stats

Votes
Jose M.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Mar 18 2018, 11:30

i will replace cabinets this summer along with tearing down the wall. Re-doing the floors I will wait till the summer. Just need some ideas for a quick paint job to fresh up the place before I move in. Thanks guys for the time to reply. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Blue Springs, MO
Votes |
  • Blue Springs, MO
Replied Mar 19 2018, 15:39

Go to the website of a big paint company like Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin-Moore.  They will have photos of rooms with sample color combinations and a list of what colors they used.  Some of them let you pick a photo of a room that looks like what you have now and then pick different color schemes to update the photo.  When you find something you like, make a note of the colors.  You can buy the paint from them, or see if another supplier can cross-reference the numbers.

Or, go to the bookstore, general store, or even the library, and find the magazine rack.  There should be some magazines like Better Homes and Gardens, Sunset, and Southern Living... flip through those and see if you like any of the color schemes in the photos.  Sometimes the article will list what colors were used, and sometimes not... if they don't list the colors, just get as close as you can.

I am not affiliated with any companies mentioned.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Adrian
  • Architect
  • Papillion, NE
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Papillion, NE
Replied Mar 21 2018, 09:34

Get a sample of Reserve Pewter by Benjamin Moore. It should work with that trim color. Its a gray with a touch of brown in it. 

User Stats

Votes
Will C.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Mar 21 2018, 09:45
Google "paint colors that go with wood trim". you will be surprised many colors look good with wood trim. if the plan is to eventually paint trim white, then I would go with the final color you will pair with white trim. why paint twice you know. I have Amber colored pine trim in my house, went with a creamy beige on walls, white ceiling and looks great. painting stained wood trim is a PITA.

User Stats

Votes
Jose M.
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Mar 21 2018, 10:25

Thank you so much for your time and help guys