Votes
Brandon Reda
  • Saint Charles, IL
Votes |
License and permit questions

Brandon Reda
  • Saint Charles, IL
Posted Jun 24 2018, 16:22
Hello, So I’m still in my planning stages to begin flipping, I just have a few questions that I’m hoping have simple answers. I want to do everything the right way and I also want to protect myself. I’m planning on creating an llc before I purchase my first property (REDAvelopment, I thought it was clever) so I can start establishing some business credit right away, since I’ll have to personally back the commercial loans. Originally I was planning on general contracting the jobs myself since I’ve been in the construction field for a while and I understand the flow of how a rehab works. I would have each sub contractor pull permits per their scope of work which I will provide. I do not have a general contractors license, but I was reading about some states require flipping businesses to have a general contractors license, can anyone verify this in Illinois? Also, after reading some local building codes, they state things like bath, kitchen, and basement remodels would be just one permit, but I could have 5 subs on that one permit, how would I go about that since I wouldn’t have a general contractor to input each company? They only would allow a homeowner to do that, by definition that would be someone who lives in the property for 6 months after the work is completed. I have thought about getting my general contractors license, but it’s just starting to seem like I’m doing quite a bit for someone who hasn’t flipped a property yet. Thanks! Brandon Reda

Loading replies...