How should I replace a 1950s sliding patio door??

5 Replies

I have a 1957 3 BR/1.5 bath ranch house in the Belvedere neighborhood of Decatur / Atlanta, GA.  The original sliding door going out to the deck may be beyond repair, and I'm looking for ideas on how best to spend $$ to replace it.  The rough opening is approximately 80" x 144" (not quite as tall as modern doors).

Who's had to do this?  The house is currently a rental (let's say B-ish class) but the 10-year-ish exist strategy might be to fix and flip retail, depending on how the market is when I'm ready.  Do I put money into whatever the end product might be (french doors or a window/hinged door combination), or just do a straight modern-quality replacement for now?  We're talking $2,500-$3,500 for a straight replacement.  

Is there a cheaper and still decent option, besides just bricking it all in?  All creative ideas welcome!

You might be able to mull two picture windows to 8' sliding door, leaving a full view to the outside. Hard to say without seeing it though. 

@Juan Jackson - Thanks, that's one of the options I thought of.  I also saw that HomeDepot has left and right sliding doors that together are the right size for a 12' space.  I've got a door guy coming this week and maybe he'll have some additional ideas. It's the $$ that's really killing me.  But, steady long term tenants and capital investment . . . probably worth it.

Anna,

What did you end up doing? I’m renovating a property and need to get a set of sliding doors replaced. I got a quote from Renewal by Anderson, and while this house is in an A+ neighborhood, the quote still seemed high.

Have you done it bro? I am very interested because I did have a similar problem connected with my fridge's door. I have Whirlpool, it works almost ideally. I own it for more than seven years. As far as I remember, there were only several glitches. I think it's a very good indicator of this brand's quality. Now I am thinking about purchasing folding patio doors. I have been browsing tons of different resources during the last few days. Maybe, it will be strange for you, but I have fallen in love with this site which produces patio doors of any kind. The biggest problem it's located in the UK. Do you think it would be extremely expensive to order a delivery from there? Help me guys, I am at a crossroad.