Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping
Account Closed
Votes |
How to Weed out the tire kickers

Account Closed
Posted Aug 15 2018, 23:59
I have a great new home under contract that has a wonderful ROI. Asking is 78k with only 10k worth of work to be done. Seller is a contractor but fell ill so cant finish the job. Title free and clear and ARV is 130k. The problem Im having is that there are alot of tire kickers requesting the address before asking any questions about the property. The numbers are really good and its a potential 40 to 50k profit if resold after a fix and flip. Or could be a great rental property. Its in a smaller town with quiet country roads. I thought buyers would be jumping at this deal but instead i have been getting non serious inquiries or just looky loos. Any advice on how I can weed out the bad apples quickly???

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied Aug 16 2018, 00:19
 Any advice on how I can weed out the bad apples quickly???

Require proof of funds earlier in the conversation. 

• Lender California (#1220177)

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Clifford Paul
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Aug 16 2018, 00:33

I have never bought a property without the seller giving me the address. How can I as a buyer research the property and make a decision to buy based on the numbers. The seller saying it's good numbers tells me nothing. I'm confused why giving the address to a potential buyer makes them a tire kickers. As a cash buyer I don't have time to play 500 questions game with a seller.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Singapore
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Singapore
Replied Aug 16 2018, 01:48

Address? Why on earth would you need to know the address of the property the "seller" is apparently "selling"? Shouldn't buyers just jump at the numbers and send a check? That's what the 15000$ seminar said they would do! Surely they weren't lying?!  LOL

User Stats

Votes
Doug W.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Aug 16 2018, 07:47

Are you attempting to wholesale the property? Rehab it? Live in it? @Account Closed

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Aug 16 2018, 09:24

@Doug W. I am attempting to wholesale it.

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Aug 16 2018, 09:28

@Clifford Paul I think I was inclear the way I stated it. When I say ask for the address basically they know that I am a wholesaler and they ask for the address to then contact the original owner to haggle my price or x me out of the deal all together. Although the seller is under contract with me there is a clause in there that states they are able to get out of the deal if they see fit. This is just a personal experience I have had. I myself have no problem giving potential buyers all the info they need. But some are just shady.

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Aug 16 2018, 09:33

@Jacque Sacramento no negativity please. Nothing about my numbers are suspicious. I have gotten paid for deals before but am still new and learning so if you arent offering advice to help then please dont taint my question by insinuating that its a shady deal. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Aug 16 2018, 09:33

Why does your contract say the seller can cancel for no reason?

User Stats

Votes
Pratik P.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Aug 17 2018, 09:05

@Account Closed

Buyers will need to know the address so they can do some research. As a wholesaler, I would never believe what another wholesaler (or seller) tells me in regards to the numbers lol

I'm confused why you have a clause that lets the seller cancel anytime. Then what's the point of the contract?

You said it's 40-50k profit but I'm not really seeing the math. Did you consider buyer's financing cost, realtor commission and closing costs?

To answer your question:

I know serious buyers already who will see the deal first. If someone new is interested, I'll give them a call and talk about what they're looking for, their experience, how they are financing, etc. If they are a tire kicker, you'll be able to tell. Also, like Chris said, you can ask for POF.