First Renovation; Flooring advice

11 Replies

We just purchased our first duplex. Looking for advice on flooring options. The floors on side A need to be replaced. Water damage in the utilities, mixture of laminate in living room, and glue down tile in bath. Subfloor is cement slab in good shape.

My wife and I are debating what type of flooring. My wife likes ceramic tile. We found faux wood ceramic tile on sale at Lowe’s for $0.49-0.99/sqrft. Getting quotes for install.

I’ve heard good things about LVP. Side B has LVP and the floors are badly faded in dining area by window. I’m not sure the age, house is 1985 so I don’t think it is original. Linoleum was the rage in the ‘80s.

Our plan is for long term buy and hold. What would be the best option for long term durability and cost?

Thanks, Pete

LVP has come a long way. It is cheaper and easier to lay than ceramic and depending on the quality and thickness it does a fairly decent job of hiding minor sub flooring issues. It is used quite a bit here (Hilton Head) because in the case of a flood it can be lifted, dried and relayed later.

We use a lot of the waterproof laminate planks by pergo. We buy it from Lowe’s and have them instal. I’ve also used some of the luxary vinyl tile in the bathrooms, and I always use grout on it so it looks like a tile floor. Both options can go right over flooring that is glued down. 

@Pete Harper I would recommend Cali Bamboo. It's some of the hardest flooring out there, extremely so for LVP. It's also a click together, so easy install. It's easy to clean, durable, water resistant, and looks great.

Another thing I really like about it, is that it's recycled materials, so it is green friendly.  Hit me up if you have any questions, I'd be happy to share my contacts name and info. 

Originally posted by @Matt K. :

Whats the asset class, what does the competition have?

Class C housing, after reno our property will be one of the nicer duplexes on the street.  

DO NOT PUT TILE IN THE LIVING ROOM. Yes it looks nice and is cost effective, especially if you have a concrete slab to thinnest the tile to. But in your rental you will have tenants who will drop things and CRACK the tile, causing a sharp hazard. It will be more work for you to replace it, then to install carpet, or engineered hardwood.

The bathroom you can do tile because theres less of a chance of of anything bad happening. Everywhere else go with wood.

I have tried just about everything.  The latest and greatest is vinyl.  Specifically, I use LifeProof Vinyl that is all vinyl and thick that can be laid directly over any surface.  It is lifetime guarantee and great for rentals. Can be laid in kitchen and baths as water has no effect.  Looks like wood and lots of different color choices.  Easy to install, the one draw back is cost.  It cost more than tile about $2.50-$2.80 per square foot but no underlayment required and install cost is lower.  Looks nice, no grout to worry about, no sealing of grout or tile to worry about, and no chips or cracks to worry about.  My go to flooring product. 

Ceramic tile in the bathroom hands down, easier to clean, laats a long time. Bedrooms and living room I would do wood but if it is class C Vinyl is good enough. Both vinyl and ceramic over concrete will be cold depending on your area this could be good or bad.

@James Canoy The first time I used grout on vinyl was 5 years ago in my own home and it looks as good as the day I put it in. I like it better then ceramic tile grout because it is more pliable and will flex with an older house better.