New investor thinking about fix and flip or rent if doesn't sell?

New investor thinking about fix and flip or rent if doesn't sell?

Rental Property Investor · Federal Way, WA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote

Hi there. I just attended my first bigger pockets webinar yesterday, it was awesome. Anyways I'm a new investor and have about 100k to invest would love to get some advice and insight on the following. If I want to fix and flip a home and for some reason it doesn't sell at ARV price I want would it be a good idea to use it as a rental. What are some downsides and upsides to this strategy. Thank you.

0Reply
14 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Kp Singh yes its always a good idea to have multiple exit strategies when looking to flip properties. That being said if your goal is to flip make sure you are very sure you can sell as the rents do not always cover the cost. If you have have doubts the property will sell you shouldn't do the deal unless it's a great rental return.

    Some people like SFH rentals others not so much. There is a lot you need to know and be prepared for in both flipping and renting so I would recommend immersing yourself in REI education before you do a deal or partner with a seasoned investor on the first few deals.

  • Kyle MccawBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Keller, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Kp Singh I always go into a flip with the thought that I may need to hold it as a rental. With that in mind, I don't go after higher end properties. Be sure to have solid rental and sold comps prior to purchasing along with a legit contractor estimate. Expect to go over budget.

    McCaw Property Management4.4902 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Federal Way, WA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Kyle Mccaw great info thanks. When am I or do I get bids for the repairs after I close or can I get them prior to buying? Or is that something I just need to guesstimate? Which I'd rather not do. I wanna be successful doing this and be able to support my family.

  • Kyle MccawBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Keller, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Kp Singh Until you know what you're doing, you need to get all the information prior to close to limit your risk.

    McCaw Property Management4.4902 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Federal Way, WA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Kyle Mccaw got it thank you very much.

  • Eastern Mass & Central Maine · Member since 2009 · 252 posts · 135 votes
    6y

    The answer is no.  If you rehab a house for a typical homebuyer, you will likely end up owning an over-improved rental that is not tenant-proof.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Alex G.:

    The answer is no.  If you rehab a house for a typical homebuyer, you will likely end up owning an over-improved rental that is not tenant-proof.

    I agree with Alex's sentiment but will also add that the rehab will start to wear the moment a tenant is placed.  This in effect depreciates the rehab when a tenant is placed.

    It is the same issue as purchasing a rehabbed turnkey.  The property will depreciate as soon as a tenant is placed because of wear on the rehab. 

    Because of this depreciation, it is important to refinance it soon after rehab if you are keeping it as a rental (BRRRR) so that you extract as much of your original investment as possible.

    Good luck

  • Belfast, Northern Ireland · Member since 2018 · 128 posts · 56 votes
    6y

    @Kp Singh

    Its a good idea to have many ways out of a deal. If you have run the numbers for both exit strategies and work out there is no reason you can't rent if it doesnt sell.

  • Rental Property Investor · Federal Way, WA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Noah Mccurley thank you very much. Great answers. Now just need to find a house that meets the numbers lol.

  • Rental Property Investor · Green Bay, WI · Member since 2014 · 36 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Kp Singh I’m possibly doing that exact thing right now. I really take each property on an individual basis. For the property I’m talking about i planned to just flip it but after looking into it more, it’s in an announced “opportunity zone” with the city I’m in so the next few years they are focused on building that area up.

    Now my idea is to finish the rehab and then refinance it and pull all my money back out (typicall brrrr) and then put a renter or rent to own person in it and hope for appreciation down the road.

    If you have a deal you wanna talk through let me know. Always available to chat!

  • Rental Property Investor · Federal Way, WA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Mike Higgins thank u so much I will for sure do that when I come across one.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Kp Singh

    It depends. It depends on what your goals are. Is it Cashflow? Is it flipping and keeping every 4th property to hold in your portfolio?

    It’s always a wise business practice to have exit strategies in place in the event best case scenario is not available.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.