How many houses can you flip a year?

32 Replies

If you had access to unlimited funds, how many houses would you flip a year?

Or what would you rather invest in? And why?

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

What is the purpose of the question?

It's very general -- if you give us more context on what you're trying to figure out, we can probably give better answers.

If I had access to “unlimited funds”, I would buy 200 unit plus apartment buildings, self storage facilities, and even mobile home parks as well as industrial buildings in good areas for cash flow, I wouldn’t use it to flip!

Originally posted by @Will Barnard :

If I had access to “unlimited funds”, I would buy 200 unit plus apartment buildings, self storage facilities, and even mobile home parks as well as industrial buildings in good areas for cash flow, I wouldn’t use it to flip!

Exactly. 

Originally posted by @Chyniece Cox :

If you had access to unlimited funds, how many houses would you flip a year?

Or what would you rather invest in? And why?

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

In this market right now I like ground up multifamily, adaptive reuse and infill development. 

If you had to stick with flipping and no other investment options and funding were unlimited You could literally flip as many houses as you could find. 

Originally posted by @Will Barnard :

This is the way! Building more passive streams of income than a flipping business

Hold the phone. If we had unlimited access to funds, we would all be doing what Warren Buffett is doing. Making money with money. Forget flipping anything.

With unlimited funds and a desire to flip property, I would flip low income neighborhoods and owner finance them back to the families who already live in the area.  

I'd do some other similar things as well and the rest I would use to buy some passive income with few to no toilets like mini storage and parking garages, etc.  Toilets are the first thing bad tenants break.  Possibly some larger apartment complexes... possibly.  

After that I would be a private money lender for other investors.  

I’m not as smart as these other passive guys yet but I’m currently flipping 2-3 houses a year on the side, making 2-3 times my current job income. If I had a partner that brought in “unlimited funds”, I would use some of it to invest in marketing and buy direct from seller in order to secure strong margins on every deal. I would take on bigger projects as I feel my experience in construction is growing. Basically pump out the marketing and convert into highly profitable projects. If I am doing 2-3 now and working full time, I think I could do as many as 8-10 a year without the full time job and be completely happy. 

@Chyniece Cox

“If I had access to unlimited funds”

The question is rhetorical, you would also have to say : and if all barriers were gone.

Access to hard money is easy, everyone is a broker these days. If I had access to funds belonging to people that wanted to buy real estate and were either to nervous or scared to do it alone and wanted to partner by investing with me; I would pay my investors 8-10% simple interest, buy the right properties, repair them, rent it out,refinance it, and repeat. I wouldn’t need infinite money because I would just recycle the same funds into the next one.

I would also shift into the apartment space, value add properties would be my target.

@Allan Smith

True dat.

Or

I would underwrite a bunch of sub prime mortgages and sell the notes back to Fannie Mae and Freddy mac. Let the market crash, pay bonuses to my executives, myself and then be deemed to big to fail #get a bailout

Rinse and repeat!

Who cares how many houses you can flip.  How much can you make per flip and how much are you risking per flip?  I know people that flip 10 houses a year that make more and risk less than guys that do 50 a year.

If I had unlimited funds why would I bother investing in anything?

If I “had” to do a real estate thing I would purchase houses for the hard working families that are struggling and give the house to them for nothing. It sounds cheesy but it’s what I would do. Cause even after that I’d still have “unlimited” funds.

I would purchase as many 1 - 4 units as possible and keep them long term. We all want that passive income and mailbox money to achieve financial freedom and be able to enjoy life. My motto to my clients BRRRR ( Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance and Repeat ) and increase your buy and hold portfolio with a partner that is vested in your financial success!

@Chyniece Cox

As a full time investor/flipper/REI Every decision is driven by cash on hand, access to capital/cost of capital and capital deployment prioritization and anticipated future access to capital/credit combined with cash burn ( which in flipping can go very quick).

That said I would have 3-5 primary markets combined with 10-15 sub markets. I would aim to acquire 1 house a month in each market - in sub markets I would focus on wholesale and writing hard money loans to have secured interest to have some cash flow to cover fluctuations in the market.

More importantly when the market turns negative I would use that opportunity to buy as many rentals I could buy in all of those markets and wait for the market to reflate then sell them.

Flipping more houses isn't usually isn't a problem of lack of funds.  If you find a great deal, money will be available to fund it.  Either from the agent, friend, investor, etc.  Once you start flipping 3-4 homes per year it becomes very time consuming and the risk increases, as the market can turn and you don't want to be left holding too many houses.  And to be honest, in my market, it is very difficult to find more than 5-6 homes per year that achieve the returns (80-100k profit) that I think warrant the risk of flipping. I would diversify my RE holdings and buy more multi-family rentals, mixed used commercial, land,and look into storage facilities.  I would build my portfolio slowly though, as you learn a lot with each deal you complete.  And keep all of your properties nearby, within 15 minutes.

Originally posted by @Ian Walsh :

Who cares how many houses you can flip.  How much can you make per flip and how much are you risking per flip?  I know people that flip 10 houses a year that make more and risk less than guys that do 50 a year.

This. I flip between 7-15/year. I focus on high margin safe deals. Ive lost money on 1 deal in 9 years.

I know a few people that do 30+/year, but they do it with more work and less profit than me.

BUT, the market for flipping has been shifting (at least in my areas). Higher end homes that I used to do, are becoming hard as hell to sell because of no SALT deductions and high property taxes. Ive been shifting back to starter homes. Profits are less in absolute dollars, but they sell very very quickly. This is my way of mitigating the risk of time. I can be in and out on a starter home in 3-6 months. Markets hopefully won't turn that quick.