Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Adam Craig
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Replace boiler with central HVAC worth it?

Adam Craig
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Feb 21 2020, 07:28

We are in the Cleveland market so summers are warm and muggy. AC is desirable but how much ?

I can replace a boiler with furnace,ac, ductwork for 6-9K depending on the house. Most of the time on new flips we do replace it because I work it into the budget.

But I am getting ready to sell one of my rental properties and its in really good shape - big newer kitchen, updated bathrooms, so we can pretty much paint and list it. That is unless we replace the boiler.

If I can replace the boiler for sale 8K - and the house in this market sells for around 170K. Is this worth the time and effort or hold out for someone who is okay with the boiler?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 21 2020, 07:44

This is a thought... when I bring a buyer client through a house on the market down here in Columbus, I use that fact as a point of negotiation because of the obsolescence of a boiler in "modern homes". Even in our hot market down here people are passing on properties that have those old features, its a huge hurdle for alot of buyers to overcome. 

You will get a way better reception being able to have the new mechanicals in the house. I think that if you have a good crew that you know can keep that HVAC update on time and on budget its a huge + for you to have a smooth sale. 

If you decide to list it first with the boiler and get the feedback that the house "needs new HVAC" By the time get that response you will be working uphill as far as days on market and any price adjustments you might make along the way.

Thats my .02 af far as what I look for with my clients being a Buyer Agent by day investor by night. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Matt DeBoth
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Carroll, IA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Carroll, IA
Replied Feb 21 2020, 07:45

@Adam Craig I have started replacing boilers once they go bad with HVAC and AC systems simply because more people work on them and because they rent easier. With central AC my tenants are not tearing up windows but trying to put their own window units in. Plus I think it adds more value having an upgraded HVAC system vs a boiler.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adam Craig
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Feb 21 2020, 07:55
Originally posted by @Nathan Price:

This is a thought... when I bring a buyer client through a house on the market down here in Columbus, I use that fact as a point of negotiation because of the obsolescence of a boiler in "modern homes". Even in our hot market down here people are passing on properties that have those old features, its a huge hurdle for alot of buyers to overcome. 

You will get a way better reception being able to have the new mechanicals in the house. I think that if you have a good crew that you know can keep that HVAC update on time and on budget its a huge + for you to have a smooth sale. 

If you decide to list it first with the boiler and get the feedback that the house "needs new HVAC" By the time get that response you will be working uphill as far as days on market and any price adjustments you might make along the way.

Thats my .02 af far as what I look for with my clients being a Buyer Agent by day investor by night. Hope this helps!

Good insight !

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 24 2020, 11:04
Originally posted by @Adam Craig:

We are in the Cleveland market so summers are warm and muggy. AC is desirable but how much ?

I can replace a boiler with furnace,ac, ductwork for 6-9K depending on the house. Most of the time on new flips we do replace it because I work it into the budget.

But I am getting ready to sell one of my rental properties and its in really good shape - big newer kitchen, updated bathrooms, so we can pretty much paint and list it. That is unless we replace the boiler.

If I can replace the boiler for sale 8K - and the house in this market sells for around 170K. Is this worth the time and effort or hold out for someone who is okay with the boiler?

In my experience trying to hold out for a specific buyer should always be avoided.  You cannot control what kind of buyers will be looking at your property to purchase, but you can control your property that buyers are looking at.

User Stats

Votes
George W.
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Replied Feb 24 2020, 13:43

Keep the old boiler system. Add mini split units with heat pump. Makes it more efficient on both heating and cooling. also gives you redundancy plus it would probably still end up cheaper than adding a ducted system in. Personally would rather have a boiler for heat.