Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Jennie Berger
  • Developer
  • Chicago IL
Votes |
Easy Permits in Chicago | Rough Inspections Required? Or not?

Jennie Berger
  • Developer
  • Chicago IL
Posted Feb 18 2021, 17:35

I'll admit, I'm totally confused about easy permits and the required inspections.

It was our understanding, per 2 different professionals (an architect & licensed GC), that we do NOT need rough inspections when doing a rehab with an easy permit. However, upon scheduling our final inspection for a rehab project (which we were told we DID need), the city told us we needed rough inspections. 🤦‍♀️

As you can imagine, this has been an absolute nightmare of a process to backpeddle and get everything 'righted'. But it still doesn't solve the mystery for me. Do we, or don't we, need rough inspections with an easy permit? I know the city said we do but...

Let me elaborate--the only walls we opened were to update associated piping with new plumbing fixtures and electrical fixtures/switches. This was all on the easy permit. Thus, it would make sense to me that roughs were NOT necessarily, by default required. Add to that the fact that 2 industry professionals told us explicitly that they were NOT necessary, and hence, perhaps you see where my confusion comes from.

Did Chicago change the laws recently? Did something else change? Is this just a decision left up to the discretion of whoever happens to receive the inspection request?

Not gonna lie-- It feels like a moving target with city inspectors at times. One inspector comes out for a rough plumbing inspection and wants a) changed. Even though it's up to code, as is. So you change a) and another plumbing inspector comes out later and says what's a) about? And you try to say that the previous inspector wanted it like that but they don't seem to care and they make you change it again...and this can go on, and on, and on.

Is it just me or are we living in some strange universe where plumbing and other codes don't matter, and inspectors can say and do whatever they want with no recourse? And what about the architects and GCs...shouldn't they know the rules and any applicable changes as they occur?

Do we have recourse? Is there a way to avoid this? Whom can we talk to/complain to (without shooting ourselves in the foot)? Is there a way to hold city people accountable without a lawsuit? Looking for proactive and practical solutions and suggestions.

Thanks guys.

Loading replies...