Is it possible to get taxes down?

7 Replies

I live in a city (DC) but I never knew how good I had it until I started looking at Baltimore property taxes. Holy Mole over 2%, whereas in DC it's .8something %. And the assessed value usually is some price that reflects another time (maybe another neighborhood). I have seen some advertisements regarding going through the process to lower the assessment but wonders if anyone has tried it.

Hi Marie,

I would just be careful with trying to lower taxes if you know the appraised value of your land and property is higher than the current assessment.  Sometimes when you try to lower the taxes, they'll come back and give you a HIGHER assessment than you previously had.

Good luck!

Ben

Yes, lots of landlords regularly appeal their taxes. Go to SDAT to see the process. There are services that will do it for you.  Generally they take about 50% of the first year savings. I get the impression while you can get the assessment lowered it generally will not be as low as the true value. 

I think this is deserving of class action suit as the assessments are so far off in Baltimore city that it is criminal.

Done it, u must be willing to go all the way. 3 stages when the first 2 reject it. Exhausting. Baltimore city is a government comprised of incompetent thieves

Originally posted by @Ned Carey :

Yes, lots of landlords regularly appeal their taxes. Go to SDAT to see the process. There are services that will do it for you.  Generally they take about 50% of the first year savings. I get the impression while you can get the assessment lowered it generally will not be as low as the true value. 

I think this is deserving of class action suit as the assessments are so far off in Baltimore city that it is criminal.

Thanks. 

If that class action suit ever happens it will be interesting.

Hello - I am new to the Baltimore area.  Have 3 properties paying about 13,000 in taxes per year after getting one lowered... It takes a ton of time that I just dont have (I am a part time investor).

@Ned Carey - you mentioned services that will do it for you. Do you have experience with any of them?

Going thru this now, it's been a over a year to get heard for an appeal of the appeal. I submitted my first appeal with a recent appraisal of the property. It was assessed at $110,000 and appraised at $20,000. The person told me they weren't "authorized" to lower it that much and assessed it for $65,000. I immediately appealed that and it's taken over a year and a ton of attitude from the employees to get a at the appeal board. I agree with Ned, it's almost criminal. 

We only won on one of our many properties. Got the new assessment down by 50% but since then they are sneaking it back up every year. We have a company here locally but have had little success on most of ours YET!!

Then again we have a few that are definitely under assessed (but we haven't complained)  proving there is no logic to it other than a blatant Tax grab.

As @Ned Carey  candidly said it's Criminal.

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide