Looking for a title insurance company that will write on a tax sale property.

1 Reply

Does anyone know of a title insurance company that will write a policy on a property that was obtained through a tax sale? All legal steps have been followed to quiet title and I have a judgment on the property. I am now the legal owner and would like to sell it. I spoke to a few attorneys and one told me he knows of a title insurance company that will write only after I've had a judgment for three years. I'm sure different title insurance companies have different policies and I'm hoping to find one that would be willing to write a policy now if possible. I could always sell to someone that has cash and doesn't need title insurance because of a mortgage however this will be a lot harder to find. 

I am in Louisiana. If you know of any title insurance companies please let me know, thanks.

Most all buyers will want title insurance. 

Not sure what your logic is about a buyer who gets a mortgage as a commercial lender (I.e. Bank) will require a lender's policy of title insurance. Perhaps a seller financed deal could avoid insurance, but what would you want to take on the risk should you have to foreclose, especially in a judicial state. 

There is a company called Tax Title Service in Costa Mesa, CA. They underwrite thru another larger title company. I don't know if they write in your state. 

Btw, I just noticed your signature tag line. If you are putting yourself out on the forums as an expert, one might think you'd already worked this little step out in advance?

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.